Sea Moss Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean1987

Reaction score
Hello! :)

I'm new here so forgive me if this has been asked and explained in detail, but I am looking for a detailed recipe for sea moss soap. I have no idea where to begin lol I am looking to keep the formula as pure as possible, and to start, I'd like to be able to make a basic sea moss bar. I do know there are a few different methods, one requires it to cure for quite awhile, and the other you can use sooner.

I am familiar with sea moss gel, and I've mastered that formula. So I'm just wondering now if the soap would be comprised of the actual sea moss gel or if the water that the sea moss soaks in would be used in place of whatever liquid ingredient is used to make soap. With sea moss gel, it has to be refrigerated, so I am wondering also, if that would factor in at all once the soap is made as far as storage goes.

I've come across videos that show the process at various different stages, some of the ingredients they use, and some just show the final product at the curing stage. I'm a step by step kinda girl lol and sea moss is currently hard to come by and expensive, so if I can help it, I'd like to make as few mistakes as possible 😁

Also, as I am not familiar at all with soap making, are there any natural ingredients that would make the soap lather? I eventually plan on adding other ingredients; tumeric, activated charcoal, etc. but I'd like to kind of get the hang of it first.

Thank you so much and I'm excited to make some soap soon!🙂

Since you are not familiar with soap making at all, that's where we'll start. Go to YouTube and look for Royalty Soaps. She recently did a series on how to start making soap. It is very informative. Soaping 101 and even Soap Queen have some good beginner videos.

Once you have a couple really small batches accomplished, then you can begin looking at how to formulate a recipe and how to use your special ingredient.

In most cases, additives are merely added to your favorite recipe. There usually isn't a specific recipe for a specific special ingredient.

When you encounter a stumbling block (oh no-- why did my soap do that), you can search the forum here for lots of answers.

I highly recommend you follow artemis's advice. If you have never made CP soap before I would strongly suggest that you try a very simple recipe first.

Good resources can be found online. Classic bell, soap queen and many others.

Welcome! Soap making is basically home chemistry and requires safety equipment and math. It's fun, but there's definitely a lot to learn!
Anne-Marie from Brambleberry on YouTube has a nice intro to soaping series. You don't have to get her brand of anything, but you will want someone's brand of most of it.
Video 1 of her safety and equipment series on YouTube here

For more in-depth reading once you've finished all 4 parts of that:
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp
There are quite a few recipes in the recipe section and on Soapcalc once you feel you're ready for that.

Since you are not familiar with soap making at all, that's where we'll start. Go to YouTube and look for Royalty Soaps. She recently did a series on how to start making soap. It is very informative. Soaping 101 and even Soap Queen have some good beginner videos.

Once you have a couple really small batches accomplished, then you can begin looking at how to formulate a recipe and how to use your special ingredient.

In most cases, additives are merely added to your favorite recipe. There usually isn't a specific recipe for a specific special ingredient.

When you encounter a stumbling block (oh no-- why did my soap do that), you can search the forum here for lots of answers.

Thank you so much! I will take a look!

Welcome! Soap making is basically home chemistry and requires safety equipment and math. It's fun, but there's definitely a lot to learn!
Anne-Marie from Brambleberry on YouTube has a nice intro to soaping series. You don't have to get her brand of anything, but you will want someone's brand of most of it.
Video 1 of her safety and equipment series on YouTube here

For more in-depth reading once you've finished all 4 parts of that:
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp
There are quite a few recipes in the recipe section and on Soapcalc once you feel you're ready for that.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll check it out!

Soap Queen does okay with the basics of soap making, but Carolyn has a point -- Soap Queen is in the biz to sell stuff, so her recipes can be overly complicated.

Also their grasp of soap chemistry is not the best, so sometimes their science-y explanations are just plain wrong. Their tutorial and advice (in the comments section) about adding baking soda to soap is a classic example of them trying to pretend they understand the chemistry .. and failing. That tutorial is pretty bad.

Thank you so much! Royalty Soaps I'm liking so far. It's so much information to take in, so I'm excited to check out all the videos and learn the ins and outs 🙂

Back