Sea Buckthorn Moon Cakes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of sea buckthorn oil from a Russian import store and tried it for the first time!
The recipe was 30% sea buckthorn and the color was so vibrant, I didn't need any extra colorant. It doesn't foam much with hands but lathers alright when using a loofah, feel very nice on the face. I'm also making a shower bar with the oil leftover with a lower sea buckthorn percentage and waiting for it to cure to test it out.
It's not the time for moon cakes yet but these molds are perfect for tiny facial bars. Added egg yolk and milk powder, scented with orange peel EO.
cover-seabuckthorn egg milk.png

I also started uploading my soaping process video onto youtube and here's the one for this soap if anyone's interested, the full recipe's in the video description as well. These videos are great for recorfing my making process since I forget what I did very often.

Thank you for sharing the link to your video. Lovely soaps.

Incidentally, I found that one eggyolk lends color to an otherwise colorless soap, which lasts in soap. Not as dark as your buckthorn soap by any means, but I suspect the added eggyolk does enhance the orange of the buckthorn oil.

I also started uploading my soaping process video onto youtube and here's the one for this soap if anyone's interested, the full recipe's in the video description as well. These videos are great for recorfing my making process since I forget what I did very often.
Excellent video presentation! You should give lessons on how to do it right!!!
10 10 10.gif

Perfect little facial soaps! Nice choice of ingredients. VERY inspirational!

Thanks.gif

I bought a bottle of sea buckthorn oil from a Russian import store and tried it for the first time!
The recipe was 30% sea buckthorn and the color was so vibrant, I didn't need any extra colorant. It doesn't foam much with hands but lathers alright when using a loofah, feel very nice on the face. I'm also making a shower bar with the oil leftover with a lower sea buckthorn percentage and waiting for it to cure to test it out.
It's not the time for moon cakes yet but these molds are perfect for tiny facial bars. Added egg yolk and milk powder, scented with orange peel EO.
View attachment 58453
Beautiful color & soap' I'm gonna view your youtube video now. 👍🏼💫
Update:
Nice Job well done Video' I liked the ff & background music & those little cups are adorable. What type of frothier are you using? it looks like a good one for small items.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the link to your video. Lovely soaps.

Incidentally, I found that one eggyolk lends color to an otherwise colorless soap, which lasts in soap. Not as dark as your buckthorn soap by any means, but I suspect the added eggyolk does enhance the orange of the buckthorn oil.
Egg yolk does help with the coloring! My castile soaps are usually creamy white but becomes a creamy yellow after adding egg yolks.

What a beautiful color. Lovely details from the molds. Nicely done video. :thumbs:
Thank you!

Excellent video presentation! You should give lessons on how to do it right!!!
View attachment 58463
Perfect little facial soaps! Nice choice of ingredients. VERY inspirational!

View attachment 58464
Hahaha I did quite a lot of video filming both for school and work, so I already have most of the equipment and some experience

Very nicely done on the video and the soap. 👏🏻
Thanks 🥰
Very nice! I subscribed in hopes that you will make more videos.
I do plan to make more in the future, thank you for the support!

Beautiful color & soap' I'm gonna view your youtube video now. 👍🏼💫
Update:
Nice Job well done Video' I liked the ff & background music & those little cups are adorable. What type of frothier are you using? it looks like a good one for small items.
The frothier is a pretty standard one with a wire ring head, similar to this one. I just chose one with a USB charger instead of battery-powered.

View attachment 58453
What editing platform did you use for your video? So many customers have requested videos of me soaping. I am feeling like such a neophyte.

What editing platform did you use for your video? So many customers have requested videos of me soaping. I am feeling like such a neophyte.
I use Filmora. It's very beginner-friendly but also have enough advanced function for intermediate users such as keyframing. The free version will put watermark on your video tho, and you can only get rid of it by paying a subscription fee, but I think it's great for starting out video editing and it's affordable than other editing softwares.
There is also another completely free and professional editing software called Da Vinci Resolve. It has no watermark and no subscription fee required, and actually has more features than Filmora. However, the learning curve is steeper and may need a stronger PC to run.

The soaps are so lovely, both in colour and shape, great molds!

And thank you for sharing the video! I have a small quantity of buckthorn oil that I've been wanting to use for a small test soap, and I will definitely take inspiration from your recipe 🙂

View attachment 58453
Beautiful colour, beautiful shape and beautiful soap . All beautifully done.
one thing that surprised me that egg yolks can be used in soaps. ( I never knew this before)
Well done.
I have subscribed to your channel. Look forward to seeing more videos

Latest posts

Back