Screeeech!!!! Help.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCee

Reaction score
Just made a 2lb batch split in to two batches - one loaf the other in individual moulds. There was me wondering why it had traced quite quickly even though I hadn't added the fragrance yet, but it was still workable to I cracked on.

The loaf has fancy micas & swirls, the moulds just have rhassoul clay and milk thistle seeds.

About 10 minutes ago my brain just tapped me on the shoulder and said 'you didn't add the olive oil'

And it was a really simple lard / tallow / coconut oil / castor oil / OLIVE OIL recipe, so its a full 600g missing.

My question is, shall I:

A) drag it all out now and try to add the oil & rework it.
B) Drag it all out, add the oil and cook it.
C) Wait until it's gone hard, crumble it and add it to a different batch.
D) Something better 😆

The other slight problem is when I split the batch, I didn't measure or weigh it, I just scooped a bunch out for the mould, so there's no guarantee there's exactly 1lb in the loaf with the colours and 1lb in the moulds with the mid thistle seeds. Wouldn't like to mix the two together (Lime, basil & mandarin FO in one, whiskey FO in the other) it would look and smell horrendous!

Not the voice of great experience here, but I think the best option is to pull it out now, add the missing oil and hp on the stove. Hopefully someone with more experience will pop in soon.

If you let the soap do its thing in the mold it is going to be very lye heavy. I don’t think it will be salvageble.

*Update*

I've unmoulded all the individuals and have it warming in the crock pot. The olive oil seems to have blended in well, I might re mould rather than HP it through. I'll see what it looks like in 5.

I've done that, hence another reason why I master batch. Now I just forget to add the FO. LOL

You said in the beginning that there was no guarantee that you split the batch evenly so dividing the missing oil 'evenly' means that one batch is potentially going to be really super fatted and the other batch is going to be really lye heavy. And since you can't mix the two together without creating a bad smelling Frankensoap I would have tossed the soap rather than chance making a bad soap and chalked up the expense as the cost of an opportunity to learn.

Back