Scraping off ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some soap will continue to develop ash, so scraping it off now might be a waste of time. Or it might not.

I spray with alcohol after planing my soaps to help inhibit ash, but it doesn't always work. For the most part it seems to, though. But with some of my recent Castile soaps, I see ash continuing to form anyway.

I have to scrape it off with a knife.....Wondering if it would be better to scrape it off before putting on racks to cure or after cure. Would the soap get better air I took it off first or does it matter either way?

Not Robert, but I've used beeswax in soap and like it.

For using beeswax, you need to pre-melt it to about 145F (62C). It's easy when you're doing HP soap to work with beeswax as you just add it with the oils to melt all together. I haven't done it with CP yet, myself. After all your oils & beeswax are melted you can let the oils cool a bit before adding the lye water. But not too much. Here is a link that talks about cooling to 115F; it depends on your recipe, though.

Here's another link about working with beeswax if you want to give it a try. I have seen others recommending higher heat for beeswax soaps, but I really think it depends a lot on your specific recipe. This link talks about even higher temperatures, but it's also suggested as an expert level CP soap, so not for beginners.

I soap at 110 degrees f and have no problem with the beeswax. I make sure it all melts and then stick blend it in before adding the lye.

Robert

Back