SCM's Conditioner Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
Does anyone make conditioner bars based on SCM's recipe? Specifically, with a hydrolyzed protein, a poly quat, and centimonium chloride?
I am having some trouble getting these ingredients incorporated into the bars; I'm guessing it's b/c they are water soluable. I end up with gooey, gel clumps that don't incorporate with the other ingredients.
If you have any suggestions or alternative recipes, I'd appreciate it.
I have hair that tangles like crazy, so I need those ingredients for detangling purposes. Thanks!

I haven't tried SCM's recipe (don't have a subscription...), but have used rice protein and cetrimonium chloride and didn't have a problem with those. I just usually melt and whisk them with the oils/BTMS.
I also use panthenol, which doesn't dissolve in the oils, but it's a powder so you can still kind of whisk it in. (And I think I had silk peptides once too, which was also powder, and just whisked that too.)

Maybe the polyquat is the problem? I have not used that in a solid bar but have been using it in cream form conditioner and had some trouble with it -- it is hard to mix in well and once may have messed up my emulsion.

My protein is in liquid form. I tried mixing the protein & poly 7 together (by themselves) and they blended just fine. However, when I heated it a little bit, it did begin to clump. I wonder if they shouldn't be heated...Thanks for the feedback!

My protein is in liquid form. I tried mixing the protein & poly 7 together (by themselves) and they blended just fine. However, when I heated it a little bit, it did begin to clump. I wonder if they shouldn't be heated...Thanks for the feedback!
My protein is also liquid. I add that and (in case of the cream conditioner) the polyquat together with the preservative.

Have you checked out humblebee and me recipe, she based hers off of SCM. I didn’t have the certimonium chloride so I subbed that with 50:50 honeyquat and dimethicone. So far I like it, I can even comb my hair right out of the shower.

Latest posts

Back