Scientific question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorymae

Reaction score
Is it possible to dissolve magnesium flakes in water and use that water to make soap? How would lye react to that? I've seen many bath salts made with magnesium flakes but I was wondering about how it could be incorporated into soap.

Yes, magnesium makes soap scum! From Wikipedia's soap scum page:

"Hard water contains calcium or magnesium ions, which react with the fatty acid component of soap to give what are technically called lime soaps"

If you like the idea of putting some kind of salt in your soap, I highly recommend salt soap. It's the only soap I make now, the lather is super thick and dense and it just feels extra luxurious somehow. My recipe is just 100% coconut oil at 20% superfat with salt and oil at a 1:2 ratio, i.e. one pound of salt for 2 pounds of oil. You can add extra fats like shea butter if you want, too, though.

I've made plenty of salt bars and salt water bars as well. A friend was asking about magnesium flakes and I was not sure how lye would affect it. I will let her know it makes soap insoluble and to stick with putting them in her bath water instead of soap!

Back