Scientific name for floral compound that accelerates?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saipan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the Scientific name for the floral compound that accelerates CP Soap?

I've searched and can't seem to pinpoint it.

Eugenol, which is a phenol, is probably the most notorious. It is present in large amounts in clove oil (about 85% according to Dr. Kevin Dunn). If you have a slow tracer, just add a little clove oil and it will trace much quicker for you.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the quick response.

So is that the same compound in say Roses, and most florals?

Found some others: thymol and carvacro in an archived thread from IrishLass. I love that you guys really know this stuff.

I believe it is most of the alcohols. Like eugenol. Any of the alcohols in the EOs will contribute to acceleration.

Any component ending in "ol" is going to be an alcohol (for the most part) however, some chemicals are both alcohols and another functional group. These might be alcohols but not contain "ol" at the end because it reflects the other functional group.

Some components that are alcohols won't contribute to acceleration though. I know eucalyptus has eucalyptol as a large component and I've never had a problem with eucalyptus.

Edit: eucalyptol isn't an alcohol but I'm not sure why it uses the "ol" ending. That's why it doesn't accelerate!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back