Scientific litterature

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

bob_pi

Reaction score
Hello, being a lab technician I am interested to learn more concerning the scientifical side of soapmaking and saponification. In my search I came across a book which seemed interesting "soap manufacturing technology" from Luis Spitz. But considering it's price, I am hesitating to buy it.

Could anybody recommend me a similar book and or direct me to scientifical litterature on soap making.

By scientifical litterature I mean more scientifical than just a recipe and the protocol to achieve it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craftmakr

Reaction score
I understand the need for something more scientific - I used to do medical research, and taught high school science. I understand the need for slightly more information about saponification. The problem is how far is far enough? I really enjoy organic chemistry, but, that doesn't mean I can always predict how a reaction will proceed. Those who know how to do this will understand what I mean. But I digress.
I did an Ebscohost search, and I came up with an article about soap making as part of a curriculum. "Teaching with soap: Examples of project-based units for students and future educators." Ivan Havel, Kastro Hamed, in Science Activities, 2016, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p74-86 I thought it could give you some of the information you were looking for, or if not, at least begin to steer you in the right direction.
I wanted to see if I could find the additional links, and came across this one entitled Soap Making: Practical and Artistic Chemistry for the Waldorf School Curriculum: https://naturalingredient.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/soapmakingbook.pdf
It has some ages that rely on wiki, but ti also incorporates the chemistry of saponification. I would go further than that to work with the equations, but, it very well may be what you need.

Latest posts