SCI Powder with cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonstudy

Reaction score
Hi. I couldn't find many threads with people's results adding SCI powder to cold process soap, so I thought I'd share what I did today. I've always wanted to make a combo bar, but in the past, just added SCI noodles to soap batter. This time, I thought I would try adding SCI powder. I picked 10% by oil weight. I did 960 g of oils for a 10" soap mold, so added 96g of SCI powder. I wanted a soap that had a fair bit of hardness. I considered adding cocoa butter, but decided not to because I didn't want it to be too draggy. Instead, I just didn't use any soft oils, so I did 80% lard, 20% coconut oil. I made the soap batter like normal, stick blending to emulsion, then I dumped the SCI powder into the batter and continued stick blending. Nothing weird happened, like it didn't seize or anything like that. That's it. I'll report back in a month and let you know what it's like.

Okay, I've been using my first batch, and made my second. When I made my first batch, it had 10% SCI powder. I dumped the powder into the light trace soap. It made the soap stay very fluid. Think of how long it takes 100% lard soap to trace, and double that. I normally do peaked tops, like with a fork, and couldn't do that here. I just had to leave it alone. When I cut the loaf mold after 2 days, it was still quite soft, and broke off a bit on the corners. I let it cure for a month, then started using it. I love it! I thought it would be quite soft, like how syndet bars always have a hardness problem, but this thing was rock hard. I've been using it in the shower and it's 100% my favorite soap I've made, out of the hundreds of batches I've made. It's more bubbly, had a nice feel on the skin. I made a second batch with 5% SCI, and let it cure longer, like 4 days, and it cut well, like normal soap. I think I'll be dumping SCI powder into every batch from now on.

That's great info - thank you for sharing! I actually get rock-hard syndet shampoo bars when I use a high percentage of SCI, so I'm surprised to hear that your syndet bars are soft. The mysteries of chemistry! Anyway, I really appreciate that you took the time to let us know of these experiments. I may sneak in a little SCI the next time I want an extra-fluid batter. ;)

Hi. I couldn't find many threads with people's results adding SCI powder to cold process soap, so I thought I'd share what I did today. I've always wanted to make a combo bar, but in the past, just added SCI noodles to soap batter. This time, I thought I would try adding SCI powder. I picked 10% by oil weight. I did 960 g of oils for a 10" soap mold, so added 96g of SCI powder. I wanted a soap that had a fair bit of hardness. I considered adding cocoa butter, but decided not to because I didn't want it to be too draggy. Instead, I just didn't use any soft oils, so I did 80% lard, 20% coconut oil. I made the soap batter like normal, stick blending to emulsion, then I dumped the SCI powder into the batter and continued stick blending. Nothing weird happened, like it didn't seize or anything like that. That's it. I'll report back in a month and let you know what it's like.
SCI is Sodium Cocyl Isethionate yes? Thank you.

Thanks @neonstudy for posting about this. I was inspired by your idea and added 5% SCI to the soap I made yesterday. I just made my regular recipe and added the SCI once I was at about medium trace. My young adult daughter is my most faithful soap user, but also has very high standards regarding lather. I'm hoping she likes this.

The soap came out speckled, but I actually like it. I think it's from the SCI. It could also be stearic spots, but I generally don't get stearic spots, so I'm thinking it's the SCI. I used SCI powder, but I grind my own (more cost effective for me to buy noodles and grind at home), so it's probably not as fine as ready-ground powder.

soap with SCI.jpg

@SoapSisters -- SCI dissolves slowly even in a compatible liquid surfactant, so I think you're right that the white specks are granules of undissolved SCI. Discussion about dissolving SCI -- Melting SCI temp?

You can use syndets other than SCI in soap, including liquid syndets.

Other threads about "combo" or "hybrid" bars (soap and syndet blends) --
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sodium-lauryl-sulfoacetate-in-cp.45646/https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/hybrid-bars.74838/https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/solid-dish-detergent.74170/See especially Irish Lass's post #55 and Saranac's post #58

Syndets can be used in liquid soap too. Some will thicken liquid soap, some don't, so you'll want to keep that in mind. Here's some info about this if you're a liquid soap maker -- Liquid soap diluting, thickening | Soapy Stuff

@SoapSisters -- I think the topic of using syndets as an additive in handcrafted soap (or making all-syndet cleansers) is mildly controversial in soap making forums such as SMF. It comes up some, but not often.

Many people have gotten into small-scale soap making with the intent to get away from the "chemicals" used in commercial products, including syndets. So I think that's why it's not talked about a lot -- many don't have the interest.

After reading the links @DeeAnna generously provided, I'm left wondering if my undissolved SCI powder will add to the lather of my soap. I think yes, because SCI is undissolved in many solid shampoo bars (even left as more solid "noodles") and still cleanses and contributes to lather.

If this is the case, I'm wondering what dissolving the SCI in batch oil, as Saranac (post #58) did, would contribute. Did she do it because she accounted for the coconut fatty acid in the SCI when calculating lye amount? Aesthetics? A smooth bar?

I'm not sure I'd assume the SCI actually dissolves in the fats; I don't think SCI is a fat-soluble material and it's only slowly soluble in plain water. I don't have a clue what SCI does in raw soap batter.

If you read @Saranac post #58 carefully, they say the powdered SCI and fat makes a "smooth paste." The meaning is unclear -- this may or may not mean the SCI was fully dissolved. My guess is mixing the SCI into the fat was done purely for ease of processing. At least that's the rationale I'd have for doing this.

SCI doesn't want to mix into liquids very well. By adding the SCI to a portion of the fats, all lumps can be fully blended out and the powder well dispersed into the fat before actually starting to make the soap.

If the SCI does fully dissolve, then the fatty acid in the SCI would certainly increase the amount of alkali required if you want the superfat to remain constant.

If the SCI does not fully dissolve, then the fatty acid in the SCI would have less or no effect on the amount of alkali. But if we're talking about a small percentage of SCI in the batch, say 5% or less, the error is fairly small.

Thank you for starting this conversation @neonstudy and for keeping it going @SoapSisters! I missed the initial post. I'm making soap for myself and I'm very comfortable using syndets, so I'm jumping onto this bandwagon. Building on @DeeAnna 's attachment from Classic Bells (SUCH a wealth of information; it's a go-to source of reliable wisdom for me), I'll be experimenting with syndets in CP and liquid soap soon.

My plan is to try making a liquid version of my favourite soap to replace the liquid goo my children insist I continue to purchase... I've never been happy with how stripping and non-bubbly liquid soap has been for me, and this sound like a good avenue to explore.

Interesting conversation, I might try the SCI, I buy the powdered version. I add everything I can to the oils before the lye and give it a good mix with the blender. I’ve never quite understood why so many people put their additives in at trace. I like as much time as possible before it starts to thicken. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Back to SCI, it’s not necessary to dissolve it in syndet and I quite like the look of speckles in my soap, even if they are unintended.

I sometimes add ingredients at trace, mainly if they cause the batter to thicken unusually fast. Certain accelerating fragrances are the usual culprit.

Otherwise I'm like you -- I like to include well-behaved additives right away so I don't have to worry about getting them in the batch.

Back