Sceret to "Silky" Soap?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry Pit Soap Works

Reaction score
Hello everyone again! I was just wondering what you all think about how to achieve silky soap? I've used shea butter, but haven't noticed a huge "silkiness" factor from it. And if I use too high a percentage I get a lot of ash. Besides Kaolin and other clays and tussah silk, does anyone have a cool tip on this one? Also, do you notice you get more silkiness with certain oils in certain percentages? Thanks:)

Last edited:
I think some people use cornstarch or tapioca starch. Not sure about the different oils though.

I'm new and I'd wait for conformation on this but, I believe adding proteins to your soap will create that silky feeling. I think you can do that by adding proteins like milks, powders or actual silk to you soap. I think the preferred silk is called tussah silk. There are a few threads hear on how to do that. But again I am very new at this and I'm sure someone more experience can clear this up for us.

I've found a higher percentage of lard helps make a silky or slick soap. The one recipe I did with a higher amount of shea and coco butter actually has a fair amount of drag so I won't uses them anymore.

I always use avocado oil in my soaps and my skin feels silky. I've also used cornstarch but since I've never used silk I can't compare the difference to see if you'll get similar or better results. Like you, I also haven't noticed a silkiness with shea. With butters I find cocoa more conditioning but that's just my skin.

My combination of soap oils has a silky feel I do add silk too.

I've found a higher percentage of lard helps make a silky or slick soap. The one recipe I did with a higher amount of shea and coco butter actually has a fair amount of drag so I won't uses them anymore.
I totally agree with the lard and I also add in 1-2 silk cocoons in my 5lb batches. Egg powder will also add silkiness

I get mine from a silk worm supplier that supplies the reptile industry. It really is cheaper to buy tussah silk since my supplier has increased his price since my last purchase, but I like my cocoons. I used to get my own cocoons when I raised silkworm for my Chameleons. I just watch is site for sales. My last gorgeous blue cham died of old age a few years ago. Next time I will weight out how much my 100 cocoons weigh and compare to tussah. You can buy Tussah from Soap Making Resource 1 oz is $7.50

Last edited:
I get mine from a silk worm supplier that supplies the reptile industry. It really is cheaper to buy tussah silk since my supplier has increased his price since my last purchase, but I like my cocoons. I used to get my own cocoons when I raised silkworm for my Chameleons. I just watch is site for sales. My last gorgeous blue cham died of old age a few years ago. Next time I will weight out how much my 100 cocoons weigh and compare to tussah. You can buy Tussah from Soap Making Resource 1 oz is $7.50

:thumbup: Lucky you!
All the cocoons you can get around here, are the ones with the boiled silkworms in them and I just can't bring myself to using those...

I use tussah silk in all my soap. I get it from Soapmaking Resources and I bought 2 1 oz bags 3 years ago and I am still on my first bag. A cottonball size per batch (5lbs) is plenty. I just dissolve it in my lye mixture. Love it!

I've used cornstarch (mix my e.o.s together and add the cornstarch to the e.o.s) and it seems to have added a bit of silkiness.

I haven't used silk but I do have some somewhere so I'll try it one of these days.

I use cornflour as well as high percentage of lard to add that richness to my soap. Lard is lushness in soap.

I saw egg powder was mentioned how much do you use and at what point do you add it?

How do you prepare the cocoons? I boiled mine and chopped them into small pieces but they didn't dissolve all the way. Not sure if its worth messing with the cocoon.

When using cocoons it is the one time I cannot use my prepared lye solution. I cut them in half and drop them in the hot lye solution. They will dissolve but will give a yellow tint to the lye. I still mix my lye 50/50 so my full liquid is not yellow. Once in a while I get a cocoon that the inner liner of the cocoon will not dissolve and I just remove it.

Lard is the winning ingredient for me providing the most rich and luxurious soap. Try a small batch 100% lard at 7% superfat and use some essential oil and you shall IMHO love the results. HUgs Liz

Interesting, but Im wondering, does it bubble? Soapcalc give a 100% lard bar a bubble rating of 1.

Latest posts

Back