Scents for Candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I generally make bath and body, but would like to make some candles for personal use (no interest in selling).

Can I use the FOs I use for soap and sundries in candles?

I had bought these Fancy Tins to use with bees wax. Any advise? Thank you.

It depends on if the FO was made for it. It should say on the website if it is safe for candles. It's important to keep in mind the flashpoint of the FO you're using. Make sure your wax is cooler than that temperature when you mix it in; I use my IR thermometer. If you mix the FO in too warm, it will burn away before you're able to give away even use your candles.

It depends on if the FO was made for it. It should say on the website if it is safe for candles. It's important to keep in mind the flashpoint of the FO you're using. Make sure your wax is cooler than that temperature when you mix it in; I use my IR thermometer. If you mix the FO in too warm, it will burn away before you're able to give away even use your candles.

Thank you. It's for my [future] DIL. She (and my son) are dealing with a lot of stress with their oldest who has been acting out in school to the extent that my DIL has to leave work to pick up due to her massive meltdowns. She like candles and so I thought I would make her some. She like 'berry' scents and while I only have a few, I just checked and they are okay for use in candles. And I figured that I would make her some bath salts (I've made them before and have Poly 80).

I know from watching some candle-making videos about the flashpoint and that you have to really stir it in. So I guess my next question is how much FO I would use for a 6oz tin? I was checking Nurture Soap and it says 10%. Would that be an acceptable rate for most FOs? Again, NOT selling...just want to do something special for my DIL.

Generally 1 oz Per pound of wax is a decent scent. I do 0.5 for a lighter scent and 1.5 for a super strong scent.

I also like to add a little bit of my mica to the wax. You only need just a tiny bit because it actually stays suspended in the wax and could clog up the wick. I've never really measured it because I use so little. It added this beautiful shimmer to the melted wax as the candle burns. I also take a makeup brush and brush the mica on top of the candle too after it's cooled to add even more of a shimmer.

Actually, Katie Carson did a video on her Royalty Soaps YouTube channel and when it went up, I was watching and thought to myself "Hey! She's doing everything I do!" It was very validating!

Latest posts

Back