Scents and oils safe for babies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Peaches~

Reaction score
What are some essential oils and herbs that are safe for babies? I'm trying to put together a basket of gifts for an upcoming baby shower and just want to make sure I don't add something that will be harmful to a baby.

Hmmmmmmm, honestly i wouldn't use anything on babies especially under a year, unless you are a trained Aromatherapist of course. If you do decide to use the oils please warn the mother that you have used EO's and advise her to research the oils and make an informed decision for herself.

I just posted this to another thread as well. I would not trust my babies life to any information I got on a forum. I would consult a pediatrician or midwife.

I see I've caused an uproar, so let me put on an addendum...

I've been studying aromatherapy for a little over a year, just completing a course in it, however, yes, i do suggest you verify your information before dousing your child in anything. I certainly would not use any synthetic fragrances including scented baby powders.

with babies, always use LOW dilution (less than 1%) and Moderation. Use organic oils. and by carrier oil, I should have been more specific, sweet almond oil, organic.

and as an addition to the article on phthalates. Phthalates are also used as platicizers and readily leach out of the plastic into whatever is stored into the containers. they can also be found in plastic toys, teething rings,car seats and other such items. There is evidence that phthalates have estrogenic activity. the lab i used to work in did research with breast cancer and with diabetes and phthalates were used in gene regulation studies. basically, the phthalates have the potential to interrupt normal signalling in the body. so, in addition to lotions and shampoos, i'd also suggest carefully examining all the plastics that come in contact with your baby as well.

No uproar, I use lavender &/or chamomile for babies as well. I just wanted to make sure any info found here or any where else gets validated by the professional of her choice before she decides on a blend. Your info looks safe & acurate, but more than 1/2 of what can be read on forums is far from it.

Wilson. I have also used sweet orange, I see it is not on your safe list. What is your opinion on sweet orange?

An uproar? Did I miss it??

About that article... Good golly, didn't most of us participate in the "natural" thread? If we actually wanted to keep our children away from EVERYTHING (which isn't even possible) We'd be running around naked in the forest...

I do avoid plastics like the plague tho. I recall posting about plastics in molds for CP. At our house, we use very little plastic in our daily lives.

For scenting baby products, if they must be scented, I'd use Lavender EO.

i think i read into the replies a little too much, i was taking a mental break from work and browsing through old posts chiming in....then later there were suddenly a bunch of replies of be careful what you put on your kids after i had posted when i had not seen these in reply to any other posts like mine....so, i think i took it a little personally. so, i am over it now, sorry guys!

my opinion on sweet orange is that it is pretty safe for babies, but it can be phototoxic (so it can cause sunburn if you take them out in the sun w/in 4 hours of use) and it can possibly cause skin irritation in some folks. if there's no skin irritation, its fine.

Babies are much more prone to different allergies than adults since their immune system is not yet familiar with the surroundings so I guess asking for a doctors advice will be a much better option.

*hangs head in shame*

I'm such a bad mama. I bought baby magic shampoo, baby wash and lotions for my kids when they were small. And they all contain fragrance oils ...........

Just pure natural vegetable oils, very VERY lightly enhanced with the tiniest amount of pure Bulgarian Lavender essential oil. Wonderful for massage, or as a light moisturizer. Available in 2 oz. cobalt blue glass bottle with screwtop, or 8 oz. cobalt blue glass bottle with a lotion pump.

See? My problem is that a lot of times I don't even trust the doctors... (I've had to explain way too many things to doctors in my time). I find there tends to be conflicting information on EVERYTHING!

I soooo agree with you Kittywings.

I would be comfortable with Lavender (top quality organic of course) and Chamomile if I had a baby now because I'm so familiar with them. I once bought a lovely teething formula to rub on baby's cheek that had Chamomile in a light carrier oil.

Wilson said:
I've been studying aromatherapy for a little over a year, just completing a course in it, however, yes, i do suggest you verify your information before dousing your child in anything. I certainly would not use any synthetic fragrances including scented baby powders.

Congratulations on completing your Aromatherapy course Wilson. I hope you don't mind if we pick your brains on occasion? :wink:

I love just babysmell.Is that a female thing dyuthink?May be hormonal.Seems to bring on a protective/clucky reaction in me anyways.And Im waaay past the having babies stage. :roll:

I just made a batch of Rosemary Gladstar's Perfect Cream using lavender, calendula, and chamomile-infused oil and tea and 5 drops of lavendar EO as a baby shower gift. The idea of the baby having an allergic reaction to any of the oils or plants is a bit scary, but I figured the best I could is carefully label the bottle and allow the parents to decide how to use the cream. Moms need soft hands too, after all :p

Back