Scenting the unscented baby soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the 4% "superfat" we use on SoapCalc.net is in reality a "lye discount". So, I am with you, Obsidian and Craig...4% lye discount is in no way lye heavy. I make soap with 0% superfat, AKA lye discount, and it is zapless when cut at 18-24 hours.

I regularly make certain batches with a 3% lye discount and they have never been lye-heavy (i.e., no zap present and no skin irritation). And I accidentally made a batch once with a 0% lye discount and it was surprisingly not lye-heavy either. Hubby actually loved using that particular batch in the shower because it didn't make his skin feel overly moistened (he also loves my 100% coconut oil soaps). Of course, the reality of ending up with a lye-heavy soap with 4% lye discount is not out of the realm of possibility, but as I'm learning more of, thanks to DeeAnna, much depends on one's lye purity.

IrishLass :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :) I see a lot has happened in this thread since I last visited! LoL!

At 4% SF/Lye Discount you are only going to get a lye heavy soap if you don't measure correctly.4% means that 4% of your oils are free-floating in the soap.

Latest posts

Back