Scenting hp soap : how much to use ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardguy

Reaction score
I have a night pretty much to myself tonight and I plan on trying out hp soap. I also plan to scent the soap for the first time with pine and cedarwood EO. All the calculators and ressources I've found on the web are for cp soap.

Since with hp soap, the saponification is supposedly 99 % done when the EO are added after the soap no longer zaps, should I use less or should I use the ''recommended'' cp amount of 0.8 oz ppo ? I'm not looking for a soap that will have a strong scent, but I still want it to be perceptible along the road (this soap will be for a shower bar for myself).

Since this is a new thing for you, I'd use the recommended amount and see where that takes me. But I've only scented one or two of my HP soaps and generally prefer them unscented. Just be sure to check that the soap temps are below flashpoint ranges before adding the EO.

I've only done hot process. To me, there seems to be a short window of trying to get the temp down as to not evaporate all the FOs (or EOs) and before it gets too thick to stir. The FOs seem to hold up better to heat than the EOs.

I've stuck to the 0.5 oz PPO, and now think that's too low. I have year old soaps that now have no scent and some are still strong, so different results per scent.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Hmmm, I was going to try hp to save on EO and not worry about ricing or trace acceleration, now I'm not so sure I want to try scenting my first batch of hp soap if the window is so short and it isn't any easier.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Hmmm, I was going to try hp to save on EO and not worry about ricing or trace acceleration, now I'm not so sure I want to try scenting my first batch of hp soap if the window is so short and it isn't any easier.

I've heard that sodium lactate helps HP soaps stay fluid. That would probably help you out but you need to be comfortable making HP soaps first before you attempt to use that additive. That way, you know how your base recipe is and can spot the effects some additives have.

should I use the ''recommended'' cp amount of 0.8 oz ppo ?

I also use the same amount for HP as I do for CP. 0.8 oz. sounds good to me.

Since you're using EOs, I would first add the blend to an ounce or so of any oil in the formula. I've read that adding an ounce of sunflower oil at the end of the cook makes it easier to mix before pouring. I've used that tip often, altho I'm more likely to use an ounce of whatever I have on hand... more often than not, castor oil.

I also rely heavily on Majestic Mountain Sage's fragrance calculator for EOs. Altho it doesn't have results for all EOs, I seem to find something close enough to go with... i.e. use Siberian Fir for Pine.

I finally decided against trying hp since I didn't want two new things at first and went for a cp soap.

I used the same EO blend of pine and cedarwood I use for my beard oil and the smell was really, really good. It also behaved quite nicely and I went for 0.8 oz ppo I just hope the scent sticks !

I finally decided against trying hp since I didn't want two new things at first and went for a cp soap.

I used the same EO blend of pine and cedarwood I use for my beard oil and the smell was really, really good. It also behaved quite nicely and I went for 0.8 oz ppo I just hope the scent sticks !

Good luck with that. I hope it works.

Back