Scenting differently for each swirl color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citysoaper

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I'm trying to figure out how to use discoloring (aka containing vanilla) FO in some lighter colored soap, and thought that doing swirls and scenting only one color may help me scent the soap but still have some colors not affected by discoloration!

So my question is, would scenting one swirl color leave the unscented swirl color intact, or would the fragrance eventually mix up and discolor the whole batch?

It will be very helpful if anybody has tried this :)

Thanks!

It depends.
Such an annoying response but true. Some scents can be used that way perfectly. Others bleed so the line between the colours is blurred.

Check reviews of scents on this site and on manufacturers sites as well. You don’t want one that bleeds.

Hello, you can certainly separate soap to leave unscented an add FO to the other portion. However, if an FO contains a lot of vanilla it can eventually discolor even the uncolored part as well. Vanilla stabilizer does help to keep it at bay longer.

What I usually do with my discoloring FOs is leave a small portion unscented, color it bright white and use it for a swirl.
I've also used red for the unscented bits, looks good with dragons blood.

What I usually do with my discoloring FOs is leave a small portion unscented, color it bright white and use it for a swirl.
I've also used red for the unscented bits, looks good with dragons blood.

Same as above! Also, you can use gold mica in that lovely dark brown for some stunning mica lines. Copper, gold, green also make some nice contrasts. I did a camouflage soap with a vanilla containing FO. It stayed nice and distinct. I just got it to thick trace and did a plop and pray pattern.

I also have left a portion unscented and swirled. I have had different results- one batch had nice definition between colors and the other eventually became different shades of brown.
I think the difference was the colorants used (micas vs. clays) and the type of swirl technique (hanger swirl vs. ITPS).

So my question is, would scenting one swirl color leave the unscented swirl color intact, or would the fragrance eventually mix up and discolor the whole batch?
I leave a portion of my soap uncolored, but add vanilla beans for a swirl in vanilla scented soap. The top portion is without anything added. As you can see, there is a bit of bleeding, but not much with no additives.

tapatalk_1515944704648.jpeg

Latest posts

Back