Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakoda Baker

Reaction score
I have made multiple 3lb batches of modified CP shave soap using approximately 1oz of FO, but the scents don't POP like other soaps. Any suggestions on making scents more pronounced?

0.3 oz of FO per pound is on the light side for scents that "pop" -- and way too heavy for me. But then I want to barely smell shaving soap, strong scents are way too much to put on my face.

Is this soap intended for face shaving, or legs?

0.3 oz of FO per pound is on the light side for scents that "pop" -- and way too heavy for me. But then I want to barely smell shaving soap, strong scents are way too much to put on my face.

Is this soap intended for face shaving, or legs?

Both. Honestly I think they’re good. There’s a possibility that I had been smelling the scent for so long I became immune to it.

That can happen. My customers like soap that smells. I tend to fragrance a bit heavier than some.
Update: I've noticed that once the soap is made, if I cap the jar before it's completely hardened (still warm), then the scent has strengthened itself overnight. Is there something I missed about fragrances maturing over time after curing?

Update: I've noticed that once the soap is made, if I cap the jar before it's completely hardened (still warm), then the scent has strengthened itself overnight. Is there something I missed about fragrances maturing over time after curing?
I wouldn't recommend capping them while still warm. I generally leave mine uncapped for a week or so to harden up and to let the water evaporate out some. I haven't noticed any fading but can most certainly smell it when I open the jar. Fragrance seems to stick in HP better since it's usually added after the cook.

That's good to know. The other thing I worry about is since I add my FO at a higher temp than normal CP (hence "modified CP") maybe a bit of the FO is evaporating. But possibly not; we're usually nowhere near the flashpoint.
I think I'm comfortable thinking that it's because I smell the scents for so long while making the soap that I just get used to them.

If you can smell the scent, by definition the scent has to be evaporating. If fragrance doesn't evaporate into the air, no scent molecules would get to your nose, right?

Flash point, the temp at which a chemical will burn if exposed to flame, has nothing to do with volatility, a measure of how easily a chemical evaporates. Confusing the two is a widespread myth.

Back