Scenting a beer soap - seeking recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m planning to make a chocolate stout beer soap for my son for Christmas. So far, the best sounding beer FO is Oatmeal Stout, but I’ve read that the one from WSP accelerates. Does the one from BB accelerate as well? I don’t want the soap to smell like the night after a frat party, which sounds like a possibility for some of the other beers FOs. I’m open to ideas for blends that draw on earth, roasted grain, wood/cedar(?) type scents in a way that would remind him of brewing beer, which is a hobby he really enjoys. Thanks for any suggestions!

I've used the oatmeal stout from BB and used a stout to make the soap. It smelled like toasted oatmeal to me. The FO behaved well, but I HP so most FOs behave well. My absolute favorite FO for beer soap, and my son's also, was BB Pumpkin Lager. Sadly they don't carry pumpkin lager any longer and I'm hoarding what I have left.

When I made beer soap I also used BB' s oatmeal stout. Can't remember how I decided to try it but the scent was great. I also did some in dragons blood which of course covers any natural scent of the soap but the guys liked buying beer soap and it made good gifts as well.

So far, the best sounding beer FO is Oatmeal Stout, but I’ve read that the one from WSP accelerates.
@lsg and I have discussed our different experiences with WSP Oatmeal Stout several times, lol. It does not work for my recipe - it accelerates horribly (like plop and cry horribly) and then the FO separates out of the soap. I add FO to my oils before adding the lye so I know it isn't a mixing after trace issue. The last batch I made with it I had to HP, the FO still separated out, so then I had to rebatch it. (I poured the oil that had separated out directly into the crock, and dumped the hunk of soap in after. Didn't even bother with shredding it or making it into smaller chunks. It rebatched fine. I should mention that it was a 16oz oil batch though...) I had to give up on that FO.

I like to use rich fruit fragrances with stout soaps - NG's Cherry is fantastic (use at .5 - .75 oz PPO because it's strong, more than that and the fragrance holds the chemical smell you get OOB). Cherry with WSP Fudge Brownie is really good with stout too.

I used BB's Oatmeal Stout once. It wasn't really what I liked. I still have that scent so I can always make a batch to confirm if I like it. I should make a beer soap but I have to find my container for mixing that stuff (I've had lye volcanos occur, even after I cooked the beer down)

I used BB Oatmeal Stout and Almond Biscotti blended at 2:1 respectively. It smells really good even though I’m not usually a fan of sweet scents. There was a BB project that used this blend and that’s where I got the idea.

I did another one where I scented the bottom layer with Oatmeal Stout, and the “foam” with the almond biscotti. I like the blended version a lot better.

My batter accelerated a bit - but I figured that was from the beer. Not sure because I blended the FO into my base oils before I added the lye.

I used BB Oatmeal Stout and Almond Biscotti blended at 2:1 respectively. It smells really good even though I’m not usually a fan of sweet scents. There was a BB project that used this blend and that’s where I got the idea.

I did another one where I scented the bottom layer with Oatmeal Stout, and the “foam” with the almond biscotti. I like the blended version a lot better.

My batter accelerated a bit - but I figured that was from the beer. Not sure because I blended the FO into my base oils before I added the lye.

It seems that every time I use a BB scent, I like it better blended. That combo must smell amazing.

It’s pretty amazeballs. I’ll definitely use it again.
Uh oh... Cybilla's Almond Biscotti is no longer available. This came up on another thread, and when I went in to check on "Cybilla" fragrances they were gone, although the search showed about a dozen or so FOs (without the Cybilla name), sadly, Almond Biscotti wasn't one of them. I loved that FO. I used to make my cuticle balm. Nice.

I’ve placed orders with BB and WSP and now I’m filling a cart at NG... At least they have 1 oz trial bottles at a great price.
I stumbled across an older post about using NG’s Cracklin Birch in beer soap. May have to order that one, too.

I stumbled across an older post about using NG’s Cracklin Birch in beer soap
That might have been me. I used in my one of my wholesale brewery accounts, with a Red Ale. Sold really fast for them - not sure if it was the soap itself or the cult following that particular beer has though :) I've also used NG's werewolf in a lager that sold really well for them too.

I’ve placed orders with BB and WSP and now I’m filling a cart at NG... At least they have 1 oz trial bottles at a great price.
I stumbled across an older post about using NG’s Cracklin Birch in beer soap. May have to order that one, too.

Cracklin Birch is good in beer soap or any other soap. It's a great seller for me.

Uh oh... Cybilla's Almond Biscotti is no longer available. This came up on another thread, and when I went in to check on "Cybilla" fragrances they were gone, although the search showed about a dozen or so FOs (without the Cybilla name), sadly, Almond Biscotti wasn't one of them. I loved that FO. I used to make my cuticle balm. Nice.
Hello Zany! Try the search again but don't add "cybilla" in the search. BB has Almond Biscotti and it smells divine!!!

If you order from BB today, you can get up to $20 off shipping, I think. It's a real good deal fro those of us on the other end of the country.

Latest posts

Back