Scented Candle -- I GIVE UP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiroband

Reaction score
I've been making CP soap successfully for the past 6 years, so I thought making scented candles would be easy -- WRONG! I've made 3 candles now, trying different paraffin waxes and FO's, but I can't get a noticeable scent. I decided on all paraffin wax for maximum scent.

The first 2 attempts I used Rustic Escentuals KY 133 Versatile Paraffin wax (FO load up to 10%). For the first one, I used a HTP 83 wick, which was too small. For the second one, I used a LX-24 which was large enough, but created a lot of smoke. For both, I added my FO (FP 200 degrees) at 10% at 180 degrees, but it didn't mix well either time -- it separated out at the bottom -- so I ended up putting it back on the heat and stirring just until it seemed to mix in. Result: little to no cold or hot throw.

For the third attempt, I used IGI 4627A Parafflex wax (another all paraffin wax), which is supposed to hold the most FO of any wax -- up to 12%. Again, I added my FO at 10% at 180 degrees, and it mixed in extremely well. I used a LX-24 wick. The cold throw was just slightly better than my first two candles, but the hot throw was almost non-existent. Also, the wick seemed to be the perfect size, but it still produced noticeable smoke when burning.

I'm using a mix of two vanilla FO's to make my own blend. Both are meant for use in candles and have a very strong scent.

What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone recommend a wax, wick, and vanilla FO combination that works?

How long are you waiting before testing your candles? Vanilla is a "heavy" scent and with paraffin you really shouldn't have to use more than 6%, regardless of what the wax will hold. (sometimes adding more can also clog the wick some and won't produce a HT)

Are you using any additives other than just the paraffin, FO and wicks?
Also, you don't really need to worry about FP of an FO unless you are working near an open flame, which I really hope you are not. ;)

I think if you bring your scent load down to around 6% things will probably start to improve for you. It will definitely be easier to incorporate the scent for one, and you might even be surprised, it could just improve the throw.

If all of those factors are met, and you are using a reliable fragrance supplier, you may have what we chandlers call "candle nose" or you have become "nose blind" to that particular scent and need to take a day or 2 break from it to be able to smell it again. Could be it is throwing just fine, but you just can't smell it because you have become so accustomed to the scent.

Good luck, and let us know.

Thanks, jcandleattic!

Interesting comment about possibly using too much FO and clogging the wick. And to answer your question: no, I have not added anything else -- no colorant, no vybar.

How does Yankee Candle create such strong scents?

Thanks, jcandleattic!

Interesting comment about possibly using too much FO and clogging the wick. And to answer your question: no, I have not added anything else -- no colorant, no vybar.

How does Yankee Candle create such strong scents?

They overscent only the top portion of the wax in the candle, and some other tricks, but have you burned one of their candles lately? They are HORRIBLE and after that first initial burn there is absolutely NO hot throw and barely any cold throw left.

Actually, no, I haven't burned one of their candles in a few years, but I remember it was strong all the way through. My recent observations have been from only sniffing them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! :crazy:

If I'm having this much trouble getting decent hot throw from paraffin, how do people succeed at all with soy?

Actually, no, I haven't burned one of their candles in a few years, but I remember it was strong all the way through. My recent observations have been from only sniffing them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! :crazy:

If I'm having this much trouble getting decent hot throw from paraffin, how do people succeed at all with soy?

It just takes patience and practice. It took me almost a full year before I had a "successful" candle (scent, throw, burn, look, etc.)

Almost 17 years later, and I'm still continually testing, but the difference now is I know much quicker what is going to work and what's not.

I have not done a candle since high school. But back in those days.. we used beeswax. and we never had an issue with scent. we did the dip technique. torture to the soul LMAO.
Teacher wanted us to know the process of old candle making by dipping.
:/

but the scent was nice.

also i would think the flash point would be considered i remember somewhere i read higher flash longer scent. although..

I still look at flash point when i CP and normal i can tell which ones will last by this. I have purchase several high flash point and scent has not failed me. low flash and i know it will fade so i add clay. you cant do this in candle making but i hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Back