Scent Works. Really dead as a dodo?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came upon a post on their slow and tortured demise while doing a search on something else. I never had a chance to order from them after I started doing CP (it seemed too risky to order, too many reports of things going wrong.)

But I was hoping that their FO's would show up again under another name b/c (a) people loved them; (b) some of them were really singular, ie; things that other suppliers were not offering; and (c) given the foregoing, it made absolutely no sense that they did not try to sell the business/formulas and get some kind of value out of them.

I am sort of giving up on option (c) now, it does not make sense that they were trying to hold off on selling, it has been too long, people are starting to forget about them. The value of something like that only holds if the memory holds.

Is anyone doing a line of Scent Work dupes that are working well so far?

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean, it is a shame that many favorites could be lost. I have talked with a couple of companies that might be interested in having dupes made. The key would to be able to get an ounce of each fragrance for duplication. The only one I have left is Satuma Guava.
I was really surprised that they didn't sell the business, but there were signs of problems for such a long time, and many of the best sellers were completely out of stock at the end. So it would depend on how badly people wanted the dupes made, and what individuals have on hand. The only other thought is if the owners would sell the fragrance keys and disclose the manufacturer. I would love to see many of these fragrances still be available, I miss the tonic, provence and so many others.

I certainly wouldn't hold my breath. It's a shame, while pricey, they had a few scents that I was willing to splurge on, my favorite was their Vanilla Sandalwood. It was delish. I'm surprised, as popular as their FOs were, that if they're not planning on reopening themselves, that they wouldn't have sold off their formulas as others have done. Some money to be made there. Lesson to be learned.....if there's a FO that you can't live without, know that it won't necessarily be there the next time you want to order it, and stock up if you can. I've seen this happen too many times.

Ugh, that's what I thought. OO, Provence and Tonic are two of the ones that I had really wanted to try. Also they had a cardamom blend FO that seemed to be the only out there that worked, now there are none :-( (I've sampled all that I could find through searching the forums/googling) and the EO is too expensive for soap, for me. Oh, well.

That is why I had to splurge and have a couple of fo's duped. Nope I do not know the company that duped them and I did not necessarily get any bargain, but did get my fo's. It was through a friend of mine that sells fragrance oils, but I had to purchase 10 lbs. I had no success at finding a fragrance that would work with an individual and the ones I did find I have not head a lot of positive about them.

I was really bummed when they went kaput, but at least I don't sell. I feel so sorry for all those who relied upon them for their business and were left standing empty-handed with nary an explanation and zero communication.

I had several faves from them that I liked to keep on hand: Blue Sugar, Provence, Tonic, Vaniglia del Madagascar, Lemon Geranium, White Peach, Tahitian Tiare Flower, Blackberry Basil, Black Keemun Iced Tea, Frankincense & Myrrh, May Lily, Pure Grace, Sakura Hana, Sandalwood Vanilla, Sweet Layer, Tupelo Honey, and White Lilac.

So far, I've been able to find perfect dupes for a couple of the above:

White Peach: Oregon Trail's Peche de Vigne
Vaniglia del Madagascar: Oregon Trail's Bourbon Vanilla

Rustic Escentuals has a Blue Sugar that smells spot-on to TSW's, but I haven't soaped my sample of it yet to see if it behaves the same. TSW's soaped beautifully with absolutely no A or D and the scent stuck forever at only .75 oz ppo. I can only hope RE's does the same. I still have about 1 lb of TSW's left.

Over on the Dish, they have a long, ongoing thread that lists possible replacements for many of their FOs.

I'd love to be able to find a dupe for their Tonic. I was able to buy a 4 oz. bottle of it once and I completely fell in love with it, and completely used it up. By the time I went to order a bigger bottle, it was gone off their site forever. I have about 8 bars of Tonic scented soap left, though, and I've been hoarding them like a miser. lol

IrishLass :)

Back