Scent suggestions for liquid soap AKA shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've been experimenting with liquid soap as a shampoo. The last batch that I made yeilded about 1/2 gallon of firm goo. I found out that if I only fill the shampoo bottle half full of goo and the other half water, it cleans hair GREAT :D

Anyway, I am looking for some scent suggestions for my next batch using EOs that I keep on hand. This last one was "Barely Visible Lavender Mint" because the lavender was barely visible. So, here's a list of my EOs and lets see how many combinations we can get because I stink at this!

lavender
peppermint
patchouli
clary sage
rosemary
ginger
sweet orange
lemon
cedar
tea tree

I don't know if the scent is what you want, but both lavender and rosemary are good for your hair and scalp.

Also, assuming you're making the liquid soap with potassium hydroxide and not with grated cp soap, you take the goo (lol) and add twice as much water to dilute. So, if you have one pound of soap you add 2 pounds of water. A little thinner, but still cleans very well.

La Oberhasli said:
I've been experimenting with liquid soap as a shampoo. The last batch that I made yeilded about 1/2 gallon of firm goo. I found out that if I only fill the shampoo bottle half full of goo and the other half water, it cleans hair GREAT :D

Anyway, I am looking for some scent suggestions for my next batch using EOs that I keep on hand. This last one was "Barely Visible Lavender Mint" because the lavender was barely visible. So, here's a list of my EOs and lets see how many combinations we can get because I stink at this!

lavender
peppermint
patchouli
clary sage
rosemary
ginger
sweet orange
lemon
cedar
tea tree

tea tree is great for the scalp too...

ginger-sweet orange-lemon (and some honey!?!?)

lavendar-peppermint-rosemary

sage-cedar-rosemary

tea tree-cedar-rosemary

lemon-lavendar

those arent from experience in soap...but in cooking, kind of blends I think would go well ...there are so many possibilities! :)

Thanks! The original recipe called for sunflower oil, but I noticed that EVOO has the same sap, so I used that instead. I think that had something to do with my not using enough water. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks too IanT. Has anybody ever tried Lavender-Patchouli-Orange?

lol I dont think so, but I feel like it would smell pretty good...the lavendar would be kind of soft middle (i think) the patchouli a nice undertone to that and then the orange for a little high twang to compliment the others?? I feel like itd work?? lol worth a try! whats the worst that could happen?

Id try first just putting some of each on a cotton ball and seeing how it smelled together??

I like coming up with new combos :)

let me know how it is in practice (as opposed to my 'in theory') !

:)

Its good to have that ratio in mind. I tend to just throw them together, not remembering how much I used :roll: I actually got my potassium hydroxide from rainbow meadow, but she didn't seem to know a whole lot about making liquid soap.

La Oberhasli said:
Its good to have that ratio in mind. I tend to just throw them together, not remembering how much I used

Oh, me too!
And I have this horrible inability to resist urges to improvise with scents AND colors as I'm making the soap. :?

lol yeahhh I get that urge too...i usually wind up zesting a spare orange or something lol... yepp...im guilty :)D

Luckily, with HP, it can stand to be left for a few minutes while I round up any last minute stuff. :lol:

Hello, Just joined this morning.
I have been making bar soap for a year with success, but in all that time haven't been able to make a shampoo that anyone in the family would use and does not stick to the hair like tar. I have tried using liquid castile as well as ground bar soap, with oil of rosemary and without, for the base. Even with a vinegar rinse, it leaves a coating. How do you make the liquid soap base for your shampoo?

Looked some up in Catherine Failors book "Making Natural Liquid Soaps" and these two use the e/o's you have.

1 - patchouli
3 - lavender
1/4 - cedarwood
-----
1 - patchouli
2 - tangerine (sub the Sw.O.)
4 - clary sage
8 - lavender
-------

olgap said:
Even with a vinegar rinse, it leaves a coating. How do you make the liquid soap base for your shampoo?

By the way, I use a vinegar rinse with a good scrub of baking soda. You take a handful of soda and rub it all in, the squirt the vinegar on there. It works like a charm! I use it before I shampoo about once a week.

Latest posts

Back