scent questions/ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnm

Reaction score
I'm thinking of a soap with high lard content and sheep tallow. Maybe even clarified butter (ghee), cows milk and goats milk.

I have the idea that it would be a country / farm / down home / grandmas homemade soap that she kept in the kitchen.

My question is; what kind of scent would be associated with that? If any?

Maybe this would be a candidate for unscented?

What about the grandma's kitchen scent? It's spicey gourmand delicious

Sometimes just called kitchen or kitchen spices

Last edited by a moderator:
i did not know there was such a thing, who has it?

Scents that come to mind are for Grandma are warm/comforting. Maybe an Oatmeal, Milk & Honey? For kitchen soaps, I like Rosemary & Thyme or lemony scents too.

You might want to reconsider ghee. I hear it smells very unpleasant from the butyric acid ... like curdled milk, bad cheese, baby spit-up, vomit, etc. I'm one of those people that don't like cow's milk heavy cream in soaps for the same reason.

Yes, butter stinks in soap. A friend and I tried several different butters and ghee's. All ended up stinky, some did not outright stink in the soap but when picked up to use the bar it would smell like old rancid butter. You will "Waste" your batch if you add in ghee or butter, that is a promise...

I just did an oatmeal stout batch last week and I have a almond honey in my inventory.

I guess i need to go with herbaceous. Thyme and Rosemary sound good.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
I third leaving the ghee/butter out of the formula. Everyone I know who has tried butter in their soap has lived to regret it.

Like Snappyllama, I'm one of those who doesn't like using cow's milk or cream in my soap for the same reason. The butyric acid from them makes the soap smell 'off' to my nose- much like vomit.

As for a scent, something lemony sounds good to me (my grandma's towels/linens always had a fresh lemony scent).

IrishLass :)

With goat's milk I've done oatmeal and honey (actual oats ground to a colloid and honey) - I think there are fragrance oils out there for oats and honey though.

Other ideas for a kitchen/farm/"grandma's" soap that are nice with goats milk:
- lemon poppyseed (lemon EO doesn't last too long)
- cinnamon oatmeal (be careful with how much cinnamon EO you use as it can be irritating)
- vanilla cocoa (vanilla EO blend & ground, raw cocoa nibs)

I would second cinnamon and vanilla. One of my grandmothers was Scandinavian, so cardamom always reminds me of her. The other was Irish, but tart apple/cinnamon scents would be what I would think of in her kitchen.

Latest posts

Back