Quantcast

Scent blends in roll-on perfume question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

cerelife

Reaction score
I would like to make some roll-on perfumes and I want to make sure to comply with maximum usage rates to keep them skin-friendly.
A classic combo as an example - Rosemary Peppermint. Each EO has a max usage rate of 5%. But does that mean I can use 5% of each? Or 2.5% of each for a total of 5%?
Same question for FOs...
I'm not so anal retentive about soaps as they are a wash off product (although I'm still careful!), but a perfume oil is going to sit on the skin possibly for hours.
I'm thinking of using 50% avocado oil and 50% cyclomethicone as my perfume base after reading this:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2009/05/better-crafting-through-chemistry_14.html
Thanks for any help or advice y'all can provide!

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
IMO 5% of the combination is the maximum. Keep in mind that each is a very potent EO with a strong scent.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
What lsg said. The max % of scent is the maximum for the combined ingredients (EO and/or FO).

Be sure to also look at the maximum safe % for each ingredient to ensure each one doesn't exceed its own safe dosage for use on the skin. For example, suppose the total amount of scent is 5% but one of the ingredients is skin safe at a max of 0.1%. That ingredient should not exceed 0.1% even though you have a total of 5% to work with.

EOs such as clove, cinnamon, wintergreen, and others have very low or zero recommended max % for use on the skin. Some citrus EOs are photosensitizers, and aren't recommended for use on the skin. Some FOs have a low recommended max % too -- one of my FOs has a 3.7% max dosage for use in lotions, for example.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Also, it will be of great benefit to have a look at this stickie in regards to safe levels of EOs. It's authored by one of our veteran members (Lindy), who is certified in clinical aromatherapy.

IrishLass :)

cerelife

Reaction score
Thank you for the information - it's exactly what I needed! The stickie is great too, thanks for adding a link!!
And yep, some of the FO's have quite low usage rates for lotions and perfumes. I love some of BB's FOs, and it's a little aggravating that they don't list max usage rates (or I haven't found them anyway)! I've been using the 'Fragrance Calculator' on their site and plugging in 100 as the amount and then calculating the percentage based on the results.
I never would have guessed some of the low amounts...for instance Fresh Snow FO has a recommended 1.5% usage rate for 'strong' scent in lotion!!

Latest posts