scent and soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mom247, please check the date before replying.

BAH... I typed up a big response before seeing that the original poster was in 2017.

Something, something DoTerra is silly expensive for soaping... List of reputable soap suppliers with lavendar EO costs to compare... blah-blah anchoring scents.

Sigh.

I use essential oils in soaping and found that if I left the soaps out in the open air for months, the scent would slowly fade away. Sometimes the scent would come back a little after a few uses in the shower, but often it would not be as strong as I wanted it to be. I usually scent soaps with essential oils at 3-5% of oil weight, depending on what I'm using (and, of course, would use less if the safe usage rate was less, like with clove or cinnamon EOs).

But then I started storing my soaps differently, and that has helped them retain scent dramatically. What I do now is cure them in open air for 4-5 weeks and then put them into plastic clamshell containers you can often find baked goods in. They look similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYH50HW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I store each batch separately, so the scents from various batches don't combine, and the soaps will stay smelling strongly far, far longer than they used to. In fact, I just went and smelled a salt bar I made 6 1/2 months ago and the smell is still there at about 85-90% strength of what it was the day I unmolded them. I also purchased some cellophane bags to put them in if I am giving them away as gifts, but would like to find a more eco-friendly option. But the cellophane is to help them continue to retain scent until the recipient uses it.

So would shrink wrapping have the same effect as putting the bars in the clam shell containers? Assuming you don't get the wrap that allows the scent to pass though.
This may be a good argument to support shrink wrapping.

So would shrink wrapping have the same effect as putting the bars in the clam shell containers? Assuming you don't get the wrap that allows the scent to pass though.
This may be a good argument to support shrink wrapping.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you because I've never used shrink wrap. But I have seen posts on this forum regarding the use of shrink wrap, so it's possible you may be able to dig around for further information or maybe someone with experience will come along. Either way, hope your question gets answered, one way or the other!

Any kind of storage container or wrap that reduces evaporation from soap will slow the loss of fragrance. Clamshell containers, shrink wrap, etc. all have that benefit.

Back