Scaling-Up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
So, I'm finding it necessary to scale-up my batches for the time being. I'm planning on making a small jump from ~2 lbs to 4 lbs, separate but identical soap molds. Are there any common scaling-up issues I should anticipate? Recipes moving faster (or slower) than before? Gelling or overheating changes?
Thanks in advance!

At those sizes, I don't think you will have significant problems. Just remember to fill your soap pot NO MORE than 1/2 full. Also, always ask yourself, "Can I carry this pot?" Remember it is hot, heavy and caustic! Be safe!

As batches get larger, they get warmer faster and stay warmer longer. Not usually a problem, but if you have a touchy FO you need to be sure you are ready to move quickly.

I use 1-gallon HDPE buckets for my batches that are 59 oz of oils. There is plenty of room. I notice no difference in my 59 oz oils batches versus my 30 oz test batches. The HDPE buckets are light and easy to pour. I also double up with a few soaps using a 2-gallon bucket with no noticeable changes in the batter. All my recipes are pretty quick tracers so I have to work quick no matter what.

I do agree with Dixiedragon they will warm up quicker so I soap cool or even leave my oils cloudy. My batches are either high in tallow or palm (45%). When cloudy the batter will initially thicken such as a false trace, using room temp masterbatched NaOH solution. After a short burst of the SB, it will mix and start heating up.

Do larger batches take longer to saponify? I did a double batch on Monday night, and I couldn't unmold it after the same amount of time I normally wait for my standard recipe. A couple of hours later (normally when I'd be cutting), I could unmold it but it was still a little soft & it zapped.
Thinking I made a mistake, I tried the same recipe again last night, and I am having similar problems.
I check Monday's batch again, and it's not zapping anymore. Maybe it just needed more time than usual?

It might depend on how your molds are setup? My batch sizes increase by mold length (so I have 6", 12" and 24") and they seem to take the same amount of time. I have noticed that in a slab mold my soap seems to take a few hours longer though. I'm just guessing here though.

Latest posts

Back