Scales

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need to weigh out any small amounts (less than an ounce), I've found a jeweler's scale to be invaluable. I found mine on Amazon. So to be clear, I have 2 scales, one that is good for weighing items larger than a few ounces, which I use for oils, water, etc. I also have a jeweler's scale, good for weighing out small amounts needed like preservatives for lotions and face masks.

If you need to weigh out any small amounts (less than an ounce), I've found a jeweler's scale to be invaluable. I found mine on Amazon. So to be clear, I have 2 scales, one that is good for weighing items larger than a few ounces, which I use for oils, water, etc. I also have a jeweler's scale, good for weighing out small amounts needed like preservatives for lotions and face masks.
Oh great that's very helpful..I'll look into a jewellers scale

Okay okay, sheesh, stop the pressure already! I learned 2 hacks one fateful day when I was a newbie, just to be clear. I had always had trouble pouring out essential oils and spilled EO all over my scale. The scale died an ugly death. That's when I learned about the chopstick trick when pouring essential oils, and the bag trick for the scale. The bag was such a duh thing, don't know why I didn't think of it myself.
IS EVERYONE HAPPY NOW?!
Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

Zing, you're not alone. My epic fail happened when I started soaping, andt it involved an entire pound of activated charcoal. 😭
I can't even...activated charcoal is the worst even in small amounts. A whole pound must have been a nightmare. I think you have outdone @KiwiMoose and her epic red spill DO NOT drop your red mica!!!

I can't even...activated charcoal is the worst even in small amounts. A whole pound must have been a nightmare. I think you have outdone @KiwiMoose and her epic red spill DO NOT drop your red mica!!!
I was cleaning for days. I found that stuff even on top of the fridge. I was trying to do an activated charcoal line and the entire bag fell off the table. I should have just let it drop, but you know when you see something falling and you try to save it but instead make it do a couple of somersaults because you hit it instead of grabbing it?? Yeah.....

Last edited:
Hello
Will you recommend some weighing scales please
Thanks in advance
My scale just started malfunctioning. So I am considering this option, if you would like to check it out. I never considered Zing’s suggestion. So I will check that out. Here’s the link to the scale on Amazon.
Accuteck Gold 86Lbs Digital Shipping Postal Scale with Batteries and AC Adapter https://a.co/d/4qcva00

My scale just started malfunctioning. So I am considering this option, if you would like to check it out. I never considered Zing’s suggestion. So I will check that out. Here’s the link to the scale on Amazon.
Accuteck Gold 86Lbs Digital Shipping Postal Scale with Batteries and AC Adapter https://a.co/d/4qcva00
That’s a good price and has mostly great reviews. Definitely helpful to have a plug in option as the automatic shutoff with battery powered scales is a pain.

Okay okay, sheesh, stop the pressure already! I learned 2 hacks one fateful day when I was a newbie, just to be clear. I had always had trouble pouring out essential oils and spilled EO all over my scale. The scale died an ugly death. That's when I learned about the chopstick trick when pouring essential oils, and the bag trick for the scale. The bag was such a duh thing, don't know why I didn't think of it myself.
IS EVERYONE HAPPY NOW?!
Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF
If it's in a plastic bag, how do you Tare?

Here I thought I was so clever draping a piece of plastic wrap over my scale, while @Zing is living in the future using an actual sealed bag! 🤯

If you get a high-precision scale make sure you have some small light weight containers for weighing. I use little stainless steel saucers and small glass ramekins. Glass measuring cups are too heavy for my scale.

It's a non-issue. When the scale is in a plastic baggie, I'm able to use all the buttons like normal.
That makes sense. My scale has a cover over all the buttons that i have to lift up to push the tare button every time, so if I put a plastic bag over it I couldn't lift the cover up. Maybe I could take the cover off and then put a plastic bag on the scale.

It depends on the scale, whether to use a plastic baggie or a length of plastic wrap. The larger KD scales work better with the plastic wrap, because you have to flip up the cover for the keys (unless you remove the cover, but I like my key cover). The smaller scales, flat scales, jewelry scales, those work fine with either. I too, had an EO spill kill my first jewely scale, hence I started using PPE's for my scales as a result. I have also has EO eat through a vinyl table cloth that I kept on my soaping worktable. Essential Oils are HARSH!

Latest posts

Back