Scales recommendation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutterly_uts

Reaction score
What scales do people recommend? Mine worked today and all was OK, but its definitely on its last legs. I don't trust it anymore!
I'm in the UK and will be using Amazon if that helps
1f642.png

I'd ideally like one that plugs into the mains and although my batches are only 500g at the mo, I hopefully will be going onto bigger amounts.

I am on amazon at the mo but can only find scales that measure in 1g increments and I think I need ones that'll go to 0.1g?

Thank you!
I was looking for 0.1g increments due to the lye on this recipe - I know when I scale up I won't need it so much but while I learn and play I want to make small amounts :)

First soap.jpg

If you always round lye down and oils up to the nearest gram, the worst case is a little extra superfat.

That being said, I made some tiny test batches last night and used a my weigh palm scale, it measures .01 grams. Love the my weigh scales. I use a cheapo kitchen scale usually but will be upgrading to the kd8000 soon.

The problem with .1 gram (or less) increments is that they don't accommodate high weights (e.g, >1 kg) without spending a fortune, and the platforms are sized accordingly. One gram increments are perfect for soap. Your batch size of 500 g of oil is not small enough to be sensitive to rounding errors. It's a great size for personal use if you ask me, but would be much too small if selling.

Latest posts

Back