Scale review

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good vid -- their judgement parameters for cooking are similar to what I want for soaping. The removable read-out of the Oxo is pretty cool. It's not that much more expensive than the SMF-popular KD-7000, which tries to provide that same advantage with its large platform and slanted display.

The runner up Ozeri looks similar to the model my hubby has for home brewing, though I think he might have replaced the original that he bought a decade or so ago. He's also been known to borrow one of my scales on occasion.

I own two scales, the 7000 and a smaller AWS that is more precise for lighter weights. They've both served me well.

I need a new one. I have 2. One is like that small silver one to the left (as you are looking at it) of the Yellow one they were talking about.
It is ok, was cheap but I need one like the KD-7000. Taller and better for holding big bowls.
Even their Oxo is too small for me. I don't want to bend or pull out part of it -- To me that means a wire that will bend/break.

Off to search for the KD

I have two Ozeri and I've been really happy with them, although I do want to upgrade to something with a bigger platform for weighing on and something that plugs in. I'm always afraid that the batteries are going to run out mid soap session.

While it is nice to have the mobility with batteries, my next one is going to be Corded.
Lookin at the KD-7000, just waiting for it to be a bit lower on amazon

My KD 7000 is capable or either battery or cord. I paid extra to get the electrical cord and am really glad I did. I have used it both ways, but prefer to just plug it in and not have to waste batteries. The gram scale, however is battery only, but I don't use it as much.

I believe i also have the KD 7000
and it’s been great on a smaller scale (production wise.)
Recently thought and I’m not sure if it’s just in my head & because I’m working in a larger volume but it’s not as accurate as i think it is? Anybody else feels this towards their scale?

I believe i also have the KD 7000
and it’s been great on a smaller scale (production wise.)
Recently thought and I’m not sure if it’s just in my head & because I’m working in a larger volume but it’s not as accurate as i think it is? Anybody else feels this towards their scale?

The KD 7000 has a built-in calibration feature as well as 30 year guarantee. Below is a link to the user manual, in case you can't find yours. The calibration instructions are on page 3. If you don't have the calibration weights, you can buy them at Amazon (here are the ones I have).

http://myweigh.com/resources/manuals/kd7000.pdf

Edit: How frequently one needs to calibrate a scale depends on how frequently it is used and I believe how much movement of the scale might occur (such as when I travel with it.)

The KD 7000 has a built-in calibration feature as well as 30 year guarantee. Below is a link to the user manual, in case you can't find yours. The calibration instructions are on page 3. If you don't have the calibration weights, you can buy them at Amazon (here are the ones I have).

http://myweigh.com/resources/manuals/kd7000.pdf

Edit: How frequently one needs to calibrate a scale depends on how frequently it is used and I believe how much movement of the scale might occur (such as when I travel with it.)

Look like KD 7000 is better than KD 8000, is this true?

I have the oxo and it is a great scale. The company will replace it if it has problems and it fits my 5 gal melting pot with room to spare. Though I will need a larger scale soon since I am going to need a larger pot.

Latest posts

Back