Scale review

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a KD8000 and like it once I turned the automatic timoff feature off. Power off, press and hold mode and press pwr,, continue to hold mode until it finishes countdown. Press mode to nb1 appears then press tare (scale response speed) then press tare and then press mode until nb0 appears and then press tare, nbo sets the automatic shutoff, off. Then the scale returns to normal mode. Now I wonder if it has to be redone every time batteries are changed? I hope this is accurate I am trying to recall the steps.

My KD 7000 is capable or either battery or cord. I paid extra to get the electrical cord and am really glad I did. I have used it both ways, but prefer to just plug it in and not have to waste batteries. The gram scale, however is battery only, but I don't use it as much.

Thats what I have although I do have the Ozeri as well (It was my first scale and still great for smaller items). The KD 7000 was a must for me because I needed the Stainless weight platform and button shield (I spill a lot)

I needed scale info and it didn’t take me too long to find this thread :). The Test Kitchen video was an unanticipated bonus! Thanks @artemis. I settled on the oxo good grips. The scale I have now uses batteries and I change them very infrequently. It’s not dead yet, but it’s getting old and I’m worried it will stop working at just the wrong time. I would rather be cordless and like that the display section for the oxo scale can be pulled out from the body of the scale. Given the size of my soap batches and the containers I use, it doesn’t matter for when I make soap. But, I also use the scale in my kitchen and my big bread mixing bowl blocks the display, just like the bowl in the video! Sold :)

I broke down and bought the KD 7000 from amazillion a couple weeks ago, I didn't want the price to go up.

I have not used it yet as all my soaps are made but did test it out to check weights on a couple things :)
I also got the PLUG with it. I don't want to deal with batteries being off and not knowing if my recipes are exact.

worth the $46 I spent
I had a smaller one from Wally World and it did well but I want a bigger area for my tub to sit on

I broke down and bought the KD 7000 from amazillion a couple weeks ago, I didn't want the price to go up.
Before buying a scale from Amazon, check Old Will Knotts for price/selection. He used to be one of the preferred sites for soap makers looking for a scale. Also, save your box and receipt when you purchase a KD model. I once had something break on my scale and I sent it back and got a brand new replacement for free.

Only difference between the 7000 and 8000 is the total weight amount it can handle (the number is the weight amount).
8000 is the newer one but the same as the 7000.
No there is another difference:
"the biggest change from the KD-7000 to the KD-8000 is the new Baker's Math/Percentage Weighing function. This has been a long-standing way for bakers to weigh their ingredients in proportion to their main ingredient (flour). This feature is the preferred method for bakers for the simple fact that it eliminates messy math that comes with weighing in teaspoons, cups, etc. - instead you deal with just percentage. Also, measuring this way allows for you to make as little or as much as you want easier."

I love my KD 8000 but I recently bought a small jewelry scale from aliexpress (<$4 USD) and it is fabulous for making tiny batches.

Last edited:
No there is another difference:
"the biggest change from the KD-7000 to the KD-8000 is the new Baker's Math/Percentage Weighing function. This has been a long-standing way for bakers to weigh their ingredients in proportion to their main ingredient (flour). This feature is the preferred method for bakers for the simple fact that it eliminates messy math that comes with weighing in teaspoons, cups, etc. - instead you deal with just percentage. Also, measuring this way allows for you to make as little or as much as you want easier."

Yes it does have the % but since this is for soaping and I don't need that feature I went with the 7000,

@SoaperForLife I did look there but since the price is only $1 less and I have to pay for shipping on top, I went with the other place.

I also got the PLUG with it. I don't want to deal with batteries being off and not knowing if my recipes are exact.
Make sure you also program it to not got off after a certain amount of time. I was NEVER able to program my KD 7000 to do this, so would always have to turn it off then back on in-between weighing each oil so it wouldn't shut off in the middle of a weight. (and yes, this was even with the plug adapter, I never used the battery feature either)
There should be instructions on how to do this included in the box.

I will look at the instructions and see if it says how.
I read somewhere how to do that... maybe on another thread on this.
@jcandleattic I'll let you know
When I got my KD 8000 I was able to do it no problem, but my KD 7000 was a no go. I think it was just mine though, not a known problem in that model. I just know that if I didn't turn off/turn on after each oil weight, it would turn off automatically on mine in the middle of me weighing out my oils. PITA
After the 3rd time of me doing that BS I started the turn off/on, and after after a year or so upgraded to the 8000...

I was happy with my KD7000 till it broke up after less than 5 years of light using. the gwarantee was 30 years. After waiting for 3 months I had received new kd7000 but the guarantee card is only for ten years now. still it is the best scale for soaping. For other products I need 0.1 g and 0.01 g so I have actually few of them, Escale the small one 0.1g and Tritron for 0.01 g

Lin they are the same, the only difference is KD7000 weights up to 7 kg or 7000 grams and the 8000 one more kilo

Thanks for posting this. I purchased the "best buy"scale a few years ago during a weight watchers stint. At least it is being put to use again and I have the relief of knowing it is accurate.....and now I am not pathetically weighing out 2oz of turkey.

Latest posts

Back