SBHP Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquariusMoon

Reaction score
Okay, fine soapers! Today is my second attempt at an SBHP soap batch. (The first one failed miserably and I think it's because I didn't use hot lye nor keep the temps up...ugh!)

Before I get started, I have a few questions for our savvy SBHPers: Will using any recipe I've used for HP be okay, or do I have to reduce/increase the water or lye? If so, how much reduction? In running the recipe through SoapCalc, do I change the percentages at all - i.e. Water as percent of oils, lye concentration or water/lye ratio? Also, if I infuse herbs into olive oil to use as colorant, should I add them to the pre-saponified oils or wait until after and use them as superfatting? If so, how much per pound of soap should I use to still get a decently hard bar? Sorry about all the questions, but making mistakes is costly. Thanks in advance!

I was going to ask the same question. Stick blender was all I could think of. I'm not sure what the process is you are asking about. If you can clarify we can certainly try to help you out!

Thanks TEG. I've seen this before. Actually, I remember this thread on it. Nobody was overly impressed and said it too longer.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54671

Plus I love how the link you provided, you can use it right away, its all done....makes me nuts. You can use any soap right away after saponification but really shouldn't if you want it to last. Let them cure.:)

I'll stick with CP.

If you want to do HP, it's honestly better to get either some stainless steel pots or a slow cooker that is at least 1.5qts big. I just looked through the link TEG shared and frankly, it looks more complicated than it has to be with ugly soap to show for it.

I personally prefer using a 1qt Crockpot for soapmaking but I there still a few things I want to try as far as HP goes.

That's what I was thinking - there was a hullabaloo about it but test proved it to be somewhat over-promising.

Agreed. Once you get past the mis-information the HP soap is ready immediately, it's just more trouble than its worth. I can have a single-color CP loaf put to bed in under half an hour now. HP is two or three times that long.

Plus I got tired of having to explain the "rustic" look of HP soap to people I'm gifting it to as "A different process."

Okay, fine soapers! Today is my second attempt at an SBHP soap batch. (The first one failed miserably and I think it's because I didn't use hot lye nor keep the temps up...ugh!)

Before I get started, I have a few questions for our savvy SBHPers: Will using any recipe I've used for HP be okay, or do I have to reduce/increase the water or lye? If so, how much reduction? In running the recipe through SoapCalc, do I change the percentages at all - i.e. Water as percent of oils, lye concentration or water/lye ratio? Also, if I infuse herbs into olive oil to use as colorant, should I add them to the pre-saponified oils or wait until after and use them as superfatting? If so, how much per pound of soap should I use to still get a decently hard bar? Sorry about all the questions, but making mistakes is costly. Thanks in advance!

You want to use full water (the default setting) on soap calc.

Have you made soap using other methods? On this forum you'll find the general consensus of the SBHP method is quite negative; too much work, increased chance of injury, no true reward in the end - (IF your goal is soap that is supposed to be ready to use immediately.)

I can use my cold process soap in 24 hrs. You can use hot process and SBHP soap in 24 hours. But uncured soap - no matter the method used - is still unfinished soap. Kevin Dunn's book "Scientific Soapmaking" can explain how curing is necessary for the proper development is soap's chemical structure, and how the pH decreases with time.

You can do your own experiment: make soap today and cure it for 6 weeks. At the end of that time, make a duplicate batch, uncured, and give them both a hand washing test to see which is better. I can guarantee you, there'll be no comparison!

I'm actually a veteran HP & CP soap maker with almost 20 years experience and own a retail brick and mortar shop. What appeals to me about SBHP is not the "quick usability," which I agree with everyone that all soap needs to cure for a number of weeks in order to harden properly. It's the possibility of churning out more than one batch of soap per day that appeals to me about this method. If I can accomplish a batch of soap in under a half hour, I can definitely amp up production while keeping my batches small.

I appreciate your input all the same!

I've never actually done the SBHP method, I've seen videos and heard from others who've tried it. Your first post makes me think you haven't yet had a successful batch of SBHP, is that right?
I'm really confused as to how this method is any faster than CP - and even some HP. (I do mostly CP, but I've done HP from mix to mold in 30 minutes)

You can't make more than one CP batch per day? That's confuses me too, unless you're hand stirring castile?

I prefer HP and I cook it in a crockpot, Lenarenee. I've never known HP to take less than an hour+ to cook, so I have no idea how you accomplished HP in a half hour? As I said in my post, I run a brick and mortar shop and make my soaps during business hours. When customers come in, I have to wait on them, which makes the process take much longer than if I were making soaps undisturbed. The appeal of SBHP is the quick cooking time, as well as having fluid soap to try swirls and other artisan methods, as opposed to the rustic look of normal HP soap, which is gloppy and not at all fluid.

It's not a big deal. I will figure it out myself. I just thought that perhaps someone had experience in the process and could offer some advice.

I prefer HP and I cook it in a crockpot, Lenarenee. I've never known HP to take less than an hour+ to cook, so I have no idea how you accomplished HP in a half hour? As I said in my post, I run a brick and mortar shop and make my soaps during business hours. When customers come in, I have to wait on them, which makes the process take much longer than if I were making soaps undisturbed. The appeal of SBHP is the quick cooking time, as well as having fluid soap to try swirls and other artisan methods, as opposed to the rustic look of normal HP soap, which is gloppy and not at all fluid.

It's not a big deal. I will figure it out myself. I just thought that perhaps someone had experience in the process and could offer some advice.

There used to be a channel on YouTube with Sharon Johnson who demonstrated this method, she now sells an ebook on the method. Maybe check for Facebook groups? Someone described the process as "controlling a soap volcano" so you have to stick right by it the whole time. Not sure how helpful that will be for you when customers enter the store. Regular hp can be covered and heat turned off if interrupted.

As for my hp soap - all I know is its a 2.5 lb full water recipe I cook on low in my crock pot.

Good luck find the info you need.

I must be missing something here. How is HP faster to make and get to a mold than CP? I understand it is faster getting it out of the mold, but for freeing up a person to take care of a customer, I just don't understand how HP is faster.

on the modernsoapmaking blog recently there has been a woman guest posting who does swirls and things with HP. i believe she uses this method but in a crock pot. i'm not positive though as i've only just heard of SBHP in the last week. here is a post from her blog but you might want to check out some of her others too: perfecting my HP soap technique

on the modernsoapmaking blog recently there has been a woman guest posting who does swirls and things with HP. i believe she uses this method but in a crock pot. i'm not positive though as i've only just heard of SBHP in the last week. here is a post from her blog but you might want to check out some of her others too: perfecting my HP soap technique

Thank you, Reflection. I will check out the video. You all make excellent points. I guess I'm a bit intrigued by the thought of HP as quick and fluid as CP. I'll give it a shot and see if it works for me. I've usually allowed the colors to just happen on their own based upon botanicals, EO effects, etc, but lately have been toying around with deliberate natural coloring using herbs, infusions and such. This is another reason the stick blend HP has my attention. I'd love some insight into natural coloring methods, if anyone has any insight or links to share. Thanks for all your input, everyone. Active forums are a good thing! :)

Thank you, Reflection. I will check out the video. You all make excellent points. I guess I'm a bit intrigued by the thought of HP as quick and fluid as CP. I'll give it a shot and see if it works for me. I've usually allowed the colors to just happen on their own based upon botanicals, EO effects, etc, but lately have been toying around with deliberate natural coloring using herbs, infusions and such. This is another reason the stick blend HP has my attention. I'd love some insight into natural coloring methods, if anyone has any insight or links to share. Thanks for all your input, everyone. Active forums are a good thing! :)

There are lots of posts on natural colours in the beginners section. Very few of them last long in a soap.

yw :) the lovin soap blog has some good info on infusing oils with herbs & spices for natural colorants. you can see how some didn't result in too much color though. also, if you look at the preview for anne-marie's book pure soapmaking she shows actual soaps made with natural colorants and then how they fared 5 months later. it gives an idea what colorants will fade the most. actually, her book has lots of info on colorants, both natural, micas, oxides, etc.. lovin soap also has a nice post with pics & amounts using clays in soap but i don't know how exactly that would work with SBHP.

i haven't even started soaping yet but am still researching so i am reading up all about using botanicals in soaps. :) if you do try the SBHP let us know how it goes. while i'm not really planning on doing swirling, maybe once or twice someday down the road, i'd be interested to hear how it goes. that first blogger i linked to earlier seems to be having some nice results.

Latest posts

Back