Saying "Hello" to everyone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy hughes

Reaction score
Hi there, everyone! For the last few years I've been experimenting making hp soap. Trying to find a recipe that my daughter will like on her skin. I've been using borax as preservative, and suds booster. Maybe it's the borax. Thought I would try citrus acid instead. Has anyone else gone through this? I'll use what ever I make, works good for me. I've even used my soap to do laurdry. Seemed to work just fine. Well, just wanted to say "Hello", hope everyone is doing well! Thanks, Judy

Hi Judy!

Welcome to the forum. I would love to help with your recipe. Could you post your other ingredients? What specific qualities about your soap are you trying to change?

Hi Judy - another newcomer here. Its my understanding that soap does not need a preservative. hth

and your understanding is correct :) I dont use any yet in mine, and if youd like to I believe there are some quite natural ones derived from plants (as well as some essential oils) that act as a great preservative for soaps :)

Hi and welcome! No, soap needs no preservative even using milks or other additives as the saponification process takes care of that. Adding boric acid (Borax) will help with the water conditioning used in the bar, as it conditions hard water, thus, helps in the laundry.

Anyway, welcome again. I am on the DHHP set right now and have been cooking my last 3 batches!

Paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back