Saying goodbye to avocado

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3000

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have fallen in love with Avocado oil in my soaps, it just makes my bars better. I don't really know how to describe it. However, it is by far the most expensive oil in my recipe and I'd like to replace it with cheaper oil. I usually use it around 15-20%. My recipe is tallow, lard, avocado, olive, coconut, castor

I am wondering if any other AVO enthusiasts have switched to another comparable oil and can recommend it? I have looked over SAP values and it looks like the closest oils are Apricot Kernel (even more expensive) Grapeseed, RBO, Safflower, Shea, Sunflower (doesn't this one go rancid quickly?) and Sweet Almond (can't use). I've played around on soapmaking friend but that doesn't tell me what the bar actually feels like. Thank you!

Forgot to add that I love a hard, creamy bar if that isn't evident. 😆

I'm a fan of avocado, but I use it at just 5% due to the price. Have you tried RBO? That's our cheapest oil here by a long shot. I use it at 20 - 30%. I used to use Apricot Kernel Oil but the fatty acid profile is quite different to avocado so I wouldn't have though it would be a suitable replacement.

RBO, grapeseed, and sunflower are the only 3 I haven't used. I keep hearing such great things about RBO. I didn't even think to look at fatty acid profiles😑. I'll look at those now!

Agree with @KiwiMoose about RBO being a good replacement, and Apricot Kernel Oil not being a good one.

Keep in mind that the SAP value only tells you how much lye is needed to saponify that oil. The FA profile tells you what qualities that oil will bring to the soap.

Agree with @KiwiMoose about RBO being a good replacement, and Apricot Kernel Oil not being a good one.

Keep in mind that the SAP value only tells you how much lye is needed to saponify that oil. The FA profile tells you what qualities that oil will bring to the soap.

Thank you! I am still fairly new to soaping obviously.

High oleic sunflower is a good substitute for olive or avocado. I use it a lot.

Regular conventional sunflower -- high in linoleic acid -- is the one that goes rancid quickly.

Thank you! I'll order some and try it! Btw I love your website and your youtube videos. You have been an incredible source of information for me and I really appreciate you!

If there's a Costco in your area check out whether they have AO, because it's definitely worth the price. BTW, you might already know this, but AVO has a very high smoke point, which means it's one of the best oils to saute food with, so you can use it for cooking too.

I have made soap with fresh Avo for years. Of course Avocado trees in the backyard help. :D:D:D do not know what the H I am doing to do when I move. It is against my beliefs to ever buy an avocado. I grew up with them in my yard. I cook with AVO all the time, I purchase mine from Cibaria in Riverside.

I use lard, RBO and some kind of butter in my soaps, at various percentages. Very creamy lather and I keep my Longevity numbers in the low to mid 30's. I now usually wait 6 months before using, longer if I don't give away too many bars. They seem to last forever, but I haven't ever kept track of that. I started using RBO as a substitute for olive oil which makes my skin itch after long use. I've used RBO as little as 20% and as high as 60% with no DOS so far.

AVOCADO OIL SOAP MAKING PROPERTIES & RECIPES

Nourishing Avocado Soap with Real Avocado

Oooo thank you!

I have made soap with fresh Avo for years. Of course Avocado trees in the backyard help. :D:D:D do not know what the H I am doing to do when I move. It is against my beliefs to ever buy an avocado. I grew up with them in my yard. I cook with AVO all the time, I purchase mine from Cibaria in Riverside.
I feel like I would eat nothing but avocados if I had access to my own trees.

high oleic sunflower or Rice bran oil is a great substitute. I would highly recommend OC sunflower because it's easier to find at the grocery store than rice bran oil.

Back