Say hello to Crowley!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Confession.. I did a very, very bad thing and actually stole him from my mother-in-law's neighbor.. In all actuality, however, I rescued him from people who shouldn't have a dog in the first place. Poor little guy can't be more than 6 weeks old and the neighbors have had him for a few weeks now, so he was separated from his mother entirely too early. So early, in fact, that he was too young to have his first set of shots and, looking at him now, I can confidently say that he's never been wormed either. He's so infected that I'm watching his belly wiggle and writhe as he sleeps :(

The only person anyone has seen actually show the dog any affection and care for him is the neighbor's six year old son... No six year old is capable of caring for a dog, especially one this young. The little boy means we'll but he plays entirely too rough with the puppy. I've seen him pick the dog up by his neck and run around with him. The little boys mom has seen this too and says nothing. I've also seen the puppy playfully bite the boys pants and the little boy kicks until the puppy is thrown off.

I've seen the little guy be almost accidentally trampled by the little boy and my 4 year old daughter as they were playing and the puppy was chasing them. Kids don't understand that they can hurt him, nor do they even pay attention that they're about to step/fall on a living creature.

I've seen the poor thing almost been run over more times than I care to count. Whenever the family leaves, they throw the poor little puppy outside and leave him there - no food, no water, no shelter. There's also no boundary to keep the dog in their yard and out of the neighbors or out of the road. Their front door is MAYBE 30 yards from a pretty busy street..

When they do this, the puppy wanders over to my MIL's house for company. She takes compassion on the poor thing and gives him a mat to sleep on and food to eat. So this time, when the neighbors left, me and my MIL came to an agreement that the puppy ran away and I took him home with me. Crowley is getting a fresh start tomorrow with my friend who will actually love him and care for him.

2015-10-24 19.45.58.jpg

Last edited:
I can only hope the neighbors decide that they just can't find it in themselves to get another puppy (or you'd better start working up a lot of contacts!) I'm glad he's safe with you and your friend. I remember when my first dog got wormed; we suspected the "breeder" was not a good one but seeing what came out after de=worming was more confirmation than required. Gross and fascinating all at once.

What kind of dog is he?

I can only hope the neighbors decide that they just can't find it in themselves to get another puppy (or you'd better start working up a lot of contacts!) I'm glad he's safe with you and your friend. I remember when my first dog got wormed; we suspected the "breeder" was not a good one but seeing what came out after de=worming was more confirmation than required. Gross and fascinating all at once.

What kind of dog is he?

I wish i could hope that.. this is the second puppy that they've gotten.. the first was a similar story and my brother-in-law finally asked the neighbors if they could have the dog since he was always at my MIL's house anyway.

I'm not positive, but I'm definitely thinking pit. Most likely a mix, though.

It's much easier to look the other way when we see an animal being abused. And unfortunately, even in much worse cases of abuse, even when the police become involved, the offender usually gets off with a slap on the wrist. I love what you did. I once catnapped a cat from my next door neighbor at the condo where I lived. I used to feed the cat daily, and I took him to the vet, paying almost a thousand dollars, when he had a huge abscess on his face, and again, when he couldn't walk, because of a fractured pelvis. I moved away, and went back a few days later, and under cover of darkness, I found him waiting by the front door, at the same time that I used to get home from work, and feed him every night. I scooped him up, and brought him home with me, and he had a wonderful life, with a yard, and trees, and neighbors who came to love him almost as much as I did. I would do it all over again, and I'm not one bit sorry. I hope that Crowley has a long and wonderful life, too!

I can't say I ever did any animal kidnapping but I'm definitely can see the necessity in some instances. I used to work in an affluent area and swear people would dump their cats there probably in the hope the animals would find a home in the Big House. News to the people that dumped them .. they went to live, quite happily and spoiled beyond belief with the gardener. Two of them are still with me, one of them the most remarkable cats I've ever had the pleasure of living with...he came neutered so I know he wasn't feral....it amazes me someone could dispose of an animal within such a incredible personality..but after all, they're all incredible in their own ways....

You guys are awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only animal napper here lol. He's definitely going to have a better life away from the neighbors. I do feel bad for the little boy though, because he's going to be heartbroken about his missing puppy for a while :/

Good job hmlove1218! While I've never dognapped, I did contact the authorities regarding my former next door neighbors dog. Her first offense was rubberbanding the poor dogs snout so "he woudn't bark so much" . I live in the desert and as you can imagine, it gets very hot, especially in the summertime. This dog was a samoyed with a very heavy coat. When i first saw this, I explained (while removing the rubber band) that you can't do this to any dog. They needed to have their mouth open to cool off, drink, etc.. The final straw for me was in the middle of the summer. It was @108 degrees outside, and I noticed another neighbor going to my next door neighbors home and back. When I asked her what was going on, she said the people had asked her to keep an eye on their dog while they went car shopping an hour and a half away. THe dog was inside the garage, with the garage door opened just a crack. What I saw horrified me. This poor dog not only had been left inside a sweltering garage all day, but once again it's snout was rubberbanded! I was furious! My neighbor "watching" him didn't want to call the police or animal control, but I had no such problem. I told her to tell them exactly who had alerted the authorities. The dog was taken away, but sadly,aside from a fine,was given back to them.The only reason I heard about the fine was because they had the audacity to tell me that I should pay the fine! I said I'd gladly pay the fine if they'd transfer his care to me. They moved out of the country shortly thereafter, but to this day I think about that dog. I'm sure the dog has by now passed away because it was old when this happened, but I pray if they have other animals today they will treat them the way any living creature deserves to be treated. Sorry for my rant, but bless you for doing what's right for our furry friends that don't have a voice.

My fervent wish is that some day our laws allow for the abuser of any animal to experience for punishment, exactly what it was that they did to the animal. And if it were up to me, it would be x10. I know that won't happen, but we make it much to easy for people to do things like rubber banding and worse, because they know they can get away with it. I've always loved the quote by Abigail Van Buren, "The best index of a person's character is, A. how he treats people who can't do him any good and B.how he treats people who can't fight back." That stands true for how people treat animals, too. It speaks volumes about a person's character.

Aww good for you. And good for him. Just one word of caution. Please only worm him under vet supervision. The reason I say this is with such a tiny dog heavily infected with worms once treated they can cause a bleed in the intestine especially if the poor little guy has hookworms and this can be really dangerous to the dog. He may bleed out and die.

Ask me how I know this.

When Axle was a pup (6 weeks the petshop told us but I think he was only 4 weeks old) sold me him infested with hookworms. He ended up spending almost a week at the vet and needed a blood transfusion and even then they didnt think he would make it. He did thanks to the great vets and nurses at the clinic.

Enough on the bumming outness. I hope you give him a great life that he deserves and becomes a treasured member of your family. Oh and as much as people say ice cream isnt good for dogs its okay in small amounts. hehehe I HAVE to give Axle the last bite of my ice cream whenever I have one. hehehhee :D

I'm gonna be odd woman out here...I am a huge dog lover...I literally take my dog on a dog vacation. I understand your concern but there is a better more ethical way of dealing with these types of situations. The Humane Society would investigate, remove the animal from the home if necessary and give the family training on the proper care of animals. Chances are this family will just get another puppy and ya just can't steal every dog they come home with. With the Humane Society involved the family will be on their radar, animals will be safer and you could adopt the dog from them legally. I assume your not keeping the puppy as the neighbors would eventually see the dog in the neighborhood unless you never let the dog out. I would bring the puppy to the Humane Society, explain the situation and let them know you would like to adopt the puppy...legally.

I'm gonna be odd woman out here...I am a huge dog lover...I literally take my dog on a dog vacation. I understand your concern but there is a better more ethical way of dealing with these types of situations. The Humane Society would investigate, remove the animal from the home if necessary and give the family training on the proper care of animals. Chances are this family will just get another puppy and ya just can't steal every dog they come home with. With the Humane Society involved the family will be on their radar, animals will be safer and you could adopt the dog from them legally. I assume your not keeping the puppy as the neighbors would eventually see the dog in the neighborhood unless you never let the dog out. I would bring the puppy to the Humane Society, explain the situation and let them know you would like to adopt the puppy...legally.

I wish we had a Humane Society or similar in my tiny podunk town.. literally, the police/sheriff are the ones who investigate and they cannot intervene so long as the animal has food, water, and shelter, no matter the shape of the animal. Even then, they can only give a fine, not confiscate the animal.

Honestly, if I hadn't intervened, this puppy would likely be dead right now. The more I look at him, the more I can tell just how close to death he is. I can feel every one of his ribs and his hip bones are visible. He literally has tapeworm segments crawling out of his rear end, and the widest part of the poor thing is his belly. Not to mention that we've had flash flood warnings and freezing rain non stop since the night I picked him up because of the hurricane in the Gulf.

Back