Savon de Marseille

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I keep looking for the recipe of famous Savon de Marseille but I can't find any except melt & pour soap by Martha Stewart that she dip the soap on the brine solution and let it dry when it dries she wash them in cleaning water, back to drying rack. Does Anyone knows?

I thought savon de Marseille was just Castile soap, but called savon de Marseille as it originates from Marseille. I think it has 72% olive content? Could you not make a Castile bar?

I did a bit more research and it seems it's made with salt water, it basically sounds like an olive soleseife. You could have a go at that and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
It looks like 72% Olive Oil, then the rest Coconut Oil and Palm Oil with French Green Clay for bar soap, and salt in the water.

There is also liquid soap labelled as Savon de Marseilles. I wonder if this is legitimately Savon de Marseilles, or just jumping on the liquid soap bandwagon. It should thicken some using salt in the water....hmm....

I think so it's olive oil like castile as I heard It been boiled them in Mediterranean Sea water similar to salting out

Latest posts

Back