Savon de Marseille?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ynadujym.jpg

100% extra virgin OO. It remains green after 3 months, although it's more faint.

Sapwn, where did you get this FO from?

Thank you for the pic Dimitri!

I see there is a gel in the middle and the soap is getting white arround the gel.

I will ask you for another pic in about three months from now.

My 100% extra virgin OO soaps are white :problem:

What kind of OO did you use? Peloponnese, Crete, Islands ?

I bought the FO "savon de Merseille" from Orestis craft center at Piraeus avenue. 6 euros, 100ml.

Since you are a wet shaver, its similar to Arko shaving stick. If you hate it don't bother buying the FO ;)

Last edited:
The soap colour is green, which is getting paler as time goes by. The white colour is soda ash I think, it was only evident around the edges of the soap.

This is also not gel, the soap is just not dry yet. Picture was taken 3 days after unmolding.

Picture was taken 3 days after unmolding.

Thank you again! :razz:

If you find time, please post a recent picture to see how it has changed these three months.

Do you remember what kind of OO you used for this batch?

This is my 100% extra virgin OO in about two months of curing.

The first weeks it was green, but now it is white/light yellow/light beige

DSC00670.jpg

Last edited:
has anyone soaped with just salty water, and if so did the bars become harder? did they lather better (?) since coconut oil is the only soap that lathers in salt water.

i always as a rule of thumb put 1 tablespoon per pound of oil when i an soaping . for me it makes my soap hard .... i made a circular soap two days ago and forgot to do it and my soap came out soft. i add salt to the liquid that i am using even milk as well as teas and never had problems what so ever . when i un-mold ,the soap is firm after 4-6 weeks its love. there is a thread somewhere where someone makes soap with sea water , if i find it i will be sure to post.

Sapwn, this was Elais extra virgin olive oil, I don't believe they specify the exact origin.

I make soap bars with seawater, I don't think it makes them much harder than my other bars, but it does give a lovely 'slip' and smoothness to the lather. I use the seawater for all my water amount, (33%), and use 22% co.

1 tablespoon per pound of oil

I use one pound of sea salt per pound of oil... in my salt soaps lol. They are rock hard.

I've also made 100% olive oil soaps and they have turned almost pure white after 1.5 years of curing (they were white long before 1.5 years). Even after that long they still produce an annoying slime so I don't like them for that reason. The Marseille soap never got the least bit slimy, is it the long cooking time or something else?

Is it me or they use something other than pure lye, if so could that be what gives it its horrible smell?

Wikipedia says they also use soda ash in addition to lye, is that what makes it smell horrible and is it what makes it not get slimy?

By the way it was the 600 gram Marseille cube I bought a few years ago that inspired me into making soap again (I even got cube molds because I liked the cube shape of the Marseille soap, though mine are nowhere near 600 grams). I had only done a few soaps for gifts and myself a year or so before.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. I never knew they used sea salt until i read it. Sounds like it's a secret recipe :lol:

if i remember correctly from a documentary that i seen about the making of the soap that its seawater that is used . ( not doubting wgat you read , just sharing what i saw ) the link below is the making of the soap , not the exact documentary that i saw .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqF9AhLQ0s&list=TL5vJ_JI5L24s

Marseille is an elemental city. Painted in strong colors by the sun, it's full of Mediterranean smells and tastes, from the aroma of the Vieux Port fish market to the tang of bouillabaisse. Rosemary grows wild along the coast, as do olive trees, and the air along the cliffs is redolent with the fragrant maquis. One of Marseille's most famous products, soap, follows the same balance of basic beauty. For centuries, the city's famous soap makers used pure olive oil, alkali from sea plants and sea water to create savon de Marseille, treasured for its purity and quality. Most of the savonneries are gone but the famous cubes of soap can still be found in Marseille.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/travel/23foraging.html?pagewanted=print&position=&_r=0

hope it helps....... savon de syria and savon de Marseille are my dream to make when ever the day present itself.

Did you ever figure out the green color? I use ground kelp (sea plant) and get a very nice green.

Did you ever figure out the green color? I use ground kelp (sea plant) and get a very nice green.[/QUOTE

i think it is a combination of laurel berry oil and the sea kelp . i see some dark green kelp here in the health store and grocery store as well that i will try when i am ready. i will look more into it from the seasoned soap makers .... plus research and see if anything comes up .
if you ever get a chance to take pics of your soap with kelp post it so we can get a sense of what the color is like . bless

This is an old thread however when taking ocean water seaweed and such may be a reason to the greeness. Is the sea water filtered. I would assume not. Since in old time she source of water was the ocean. This come from my family old way of. Cooking from seas water. They grabbed water oceanic and cooked there food in it.

This is and old thread. 70 percent OO. COOKED IN A VAT. THE SALT WATER US ADDED TO CREATE HARDNESS YES BUT IT WAS THE ONLY. MEANS IF WATER. FRANCE WAS. NOTORIOUS FOR BAD WATER SYSTEM. PLEASE ADJUST RECIPE TO HP SOAP BY ADDING THE THEY SEA REAL. SEA WATER WITH ALL. IT FINE TRIMMING TO THE SOAP. THIS MEANS PLANKTON SEE HELP. ETC. THIS WILL. INTERN GIVE U THAT GREEN COLOR. AND CREAT HARD BAR HARD. 72 oo 20 coco the rest palm add sea salt to lye and HP remember the amount of water you added so as the soao dry you can replace a portion slowly cook. Slow crock pot. Thanks. Guys let me know how. It turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back