Saving Loaf with too much colour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcraft_Garden

Reaction score
I was experimenting a few weeks ago with a new (to me) red colourant, Iron Oxide.

My initial test seemed fine, now a few weeks later I brought a bar into my personal soap rotation and the horror! The oxide is turning my bubbles and water pink. When I wipe it with my face cloth there is also some transfer. Not good!

Because the oxide is only in the swirl, I'm wondering if I could rebatch this soap and end up with a pink bar that is useable.

Has anyone tried this before? Or have any other suggestions. I hate to throw a Loaf out, and it smells so good!

Next time I play with Red oxide I need to be a bit more light handed.

uploadfromtaptalk1447299119990.jpg

It couldn't hurt to rebatch it into a pink bar. If it smells good and is good on your skin, then I say that it's a good bar. I use bars with colored lather all the time. I just use a shower poof instead of a wash cloth. That way there is nothing to stain. :)

That looks like nice soap so I definitely wouldn't throw it out! If the pink lather is really bothersome, you could rebatch to disperse the colorant but would lose those pretty swirls. You could also grate or cube it up for embeds or confetti type soap . . . I've done that with a batch or 2 gone wrong. I've found oxides to be very concentrated so it's not hard to go overboard but also be cautious with red & black clay. That was another one of my batches gone wrong!

Iron Oxide comes right out in the wash. It won't stain. In case that is the issue.

If you really don't like that colored lather, you can rebatch, or use as confetti. I hate, despise, and abhor rebatching, so I would vote confetti.

I would use a darker washcloth and ignore the pink bubbles. I am with Susie, I despise rebatch more that colored bubbles. Even fragrances with vanilla will many times give colored bubbles. My Dragon's blood always gives brown bubbles. Red Oxide, Brown Oxide, red clay, activated charcoal are all famous for colored bubbles. Red Oxide and Red Clay annoy me the most

I would call it a plus - pink bubbles!! :)
Thats much better than the poster who had lather so red it looked like blood - then I would worry.

I agree with the others, don't do anything. It washes right out. I just tell customers not to use their expensive wash cloths though I've never had any of my soaps stain. I use only white cloths and wash them in hot water with no issues. Very pretty soap!

Unfortunately I have had some staining on cream colored wash cloths. Now I only use shower poofs in the shower and bath and am careful which soaps I use at the wash basin. Not all colors stain but I did have a green that I never did get out. I don't remember anymore which green it was.

Mary Lou

I'm with The Gent -- if you mix the color evenly by rebatching, you really haven't done anything to reduce the amount of the color in the soap. I say it's still going to cause problems. I would shred it and use it in a confetti soap. Or I would "salt" it out to remove the color entirely. But salting out is as bad if not worse than a rebatch.

Latest posts

Back