Saving cold process soap with low fragance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poramor

Reaction score
I added too little essential oil to cold process soap I made. Is it possible to make it more fragrant after it is done? For example, will it improve if I put it in a box and add cotton swabs damped in essential oil?

I'd just use the soap as it is and chalk it up to a learning experience. IMO, rebatching just to make the scent stronger is more work than it's worth. I've not yet met a rebatched soap that looks better than the original. I'm also not convinced heating soap up twice -- once to make it and another time to rebatch -- is all that good for it. Sell it as seconds if you sell. Give it away to broke friends who need free soap or to your local food pantry or shelter. Make confetti soap. Learn how to make felted soap.

Time and again I'm amazed at the wisdom and common sense I find here. Thank you! I hope some day I can give good advice to people like you do, although I know my mistakes are a way for other people to learn.

I am one of the few here that actually enjoys rebatching, but it depends on how much soap you have how much of a pain it is. I generally shred it (I also use the shavings from planing and bevelling) and heat it in the microwave with a little liquid (I'll often use milk or oat water or aloe when I rebatch) and a tiny bit of something which my skin loves, like kukui nut or emu oil, because all the goodness won't get lost in saponification. After it's melted (lumpy oatmeal) I'll add the fragrance and either put it in a loaf or individual molds. They're not the prettiest thing, but I find that the soap with additional oils which haven't saponified make a difference in how dry my skin feels when get out of the shower.

Latest posts

Back