Saving a batch that has broken apart

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romangoat

Reaction score
I am new to soap making and perhaps tried to go "too big" too early, but I tried my first mica pencil line last week in cold process soap. Of course I used way too much mica, and the soap layers have separated at the line after I cut the bars (pictured below). I've been trying to decide what to do with this soap, but the answers I've seen from previous people who had this problem are mostly just use it as shavings, for cut-outs, or rebatch.

However, playing off of the cut-outs idea, I was wondering if anyone has ever (I'm sure someone has) tried to save the batch by adding a new layer of soap between the old layers, essentially gluing them together. So in my case I'd place the bottom, pink layer of the bars back into the mold, pour some new soap over them, then place the top, white layer over that. And now my soap would have three layers instead of 2. I know the bars might not turn out super pretty because some of the fresh soap would surely leak between all the cuts, but I figured it was worth a shot to save the full-size bars.

Does this seem feasible? Are there reasons this wouldn't work?

rose gold fail.jpg

Last edited:
You might try adding a layer of M&P soap between the layers. Be sure and spray the bottom layer with rubbing alcohol before adding a layer of M&P. Spray the M&P layer with rubbing alcohol after adding. Let a thin skin form on the M&P layer and then spray it again with rubbing alcohol. Spray the bottom of the next layer of cp soap before adding to the M&P layer. Don't know if this will work; but it might be worth a try. The alternative is to grate up each layer and reprocess it to try again.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely give that a try.

Just curious, why use M&P instead of CP? Also, the rubbing alcohol seems pretty important; what does it do, and does it have to be a certain percentage (70% vs 99%)?

Most people use 91% rubbing alcohol. For some reason, rubbing alcohol helps layers stick together, I am not a chemist and don't really know why. M&P is easy to melt, so that's why I recommended it. Otherwise you will have to melt you CP soap or make a new batch to use as glue.

Back