Save on Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
SOS has been around forever, since I was making M&P soap 15 or so years ago. I've never used them--I find their website really off-putting, for some reason. I've seen them mentioned a few times here on the forum, but they don't seem to come up as often as many of the suppliers.

They have a fragrance dupe that I haven't seen since Scentworks shut down, but I wouldn't order a single fragrance, because shipping isn't worth it for a sample or 1/2 oz size. Does anyone here use them regularly? If so, what's your opinion? And do you buy anything from them other than fragrances? I'm willing to put aside some time and go through their site, but if the general consensus here is that they aren't worth the effort, then I won't.

I don't remember exactly what it was, but SOS came up in another thread recently where someone mentioned that they were good for finding unusual or hard-to-find fragrances, if memory serves. ;)

I saw that, and that's what made me ask. Because they aren't really talked about here as a regular supplier, like Nuture, BB, WSP, etc. Yet they seem to have a full line of products (from what I see on their homepage), so I was just wondering if they were in say, anyone's top 3 suppliers.

I have purchased from them in the past. I have found that I needed the Ultra or Extreme concentrations for a good fragrance retenion.

SoS has a lot of scents but the FOs have different concentrations, Standard, Ultra, and Extreme. I'm betting they are a company from whom a lot of businesses actually order their FO's from to resell. They are local to the NYC area but I don't know if they allow for us to pick up orders in person anymore. In any case, they should have a sniffie kit available where you can get 5 FO samples in the extreme concentration. The vials are small but don't let that fool you. Extreme can be very potent.

Edit- Hopefully, this will take you to their sniffy page.
SoS Sniffies

SoS has a lot of scents but the FOs have different concentrations, Standard, Ultra, and Extreme. I'm betting they are a company from whom a lot of businesses actually order their FO's from to resell. They are local to the NYC area but I don't know if they allow for us to pick up orders in person anymore. In any case, they should have a sniffie kit available where you can get 5 FO samples in the extreme concentration. The vials are small but don't let that fool you. Extreme can be very potent.

Edit- Hopefully, this will take you to their sniffy page.
SoS Sniffies

Thank you for that! I had no idea they did that (I said their webpage is off-putting ). I'll probably order a sniffie set tomorrow.

So far, it sounds like mostly they are used for ordering isolated fragrances, but no one yet has said they use them for soaping supplies or as a main fragrance supplier. I haven't really looked at their inventory or pricing--because the website is so difficult to read, I wasn't going to stress my old eyes unless there were favorable reviews. :secret:

I have bought two fragrances for them, 16 oz bottles to make it worth it, still have a lot 2 years later. I agree that the standard concentration was weak, at least for the man’s cologne dupe I got (Burberry touch), so I had to use a higher % the second time. I have only used them for dupes I could not find anywhere else, since there are very few reviews for cold process scent retention. The two that I got did not weaken though, but that may not be a big enough sample to go by.

I got an instant anxiety attack just looking at their website. I am thinkingh that they really don't need the new customers but they should really hire someone to revamp their website because it looks like something from when people still used AOL and a dial up internet connection.
That would be a lot of work because they have a very expansive catalog. I guess i'm fine with it the site as is. I've seen sites that were way worse and broken to boot.

@Carly B reviews can be lacking with them because people are lazy with them (me included). When I first started using their FOs, It wasn't for soaping purposes. I actually used to order their EOs as a deterrant for insects that made it into my studio at the time.

I use them frequently. If you order over $100, shipping is free (just fragrance oils, not bulk). I find that the ultra and extreme work best in my products. I get a lot of scents that I can't find anywhere else. One that I just bought for my Christmas collection is Noel Crabtree & Evelyne is awesome. I used it in cp test batch and the scent retention is wonderful.

I use them frequently. If you order over $100, shipping is free (just fragrance oils, not bulk). I find that the ultra and extreme work best in my products. I get a lot of scents that I can't find anywhere else. One that I just bought for my Christmas collection is Noel Crabtree & Evelyne is awesome. I used it in cp test batch and the scent retention is wonderful.
Good to know considering Crabtree & Evelyn. I might have to order a sniffie set.

Latest posts

Back