Save a life with . . . soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm4bleenmb

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been shared before, but I thought this video was impressive. If I understood her correctly, she actually works for Unilever, and even though she mentions Lifeboy soap a few times, she never once turns this into a marketing tool, she keeps her message focused on the subject of hand washing.

I'm sharing it here because, even though she only mentions bar soap, we know it isn't only limited to that. If you ever get discouraged and wonder why you keep making soap, or you get tired of people implying that there's something a little off about our fascination with something so basic, here's a very powerful motivation you can share.

http://www.ted.com/talks/myriam_sidibe_the_simple_power_of_hand_washing

Such a powerful message. I think sometimes we focus on how our soap looks and we forget what magic it can accomplish. When you hear the numbers like that, it's staggering. I often have people stop by my booth at craft fairs and tell me that they only use antibacterial soap or Purell. I show them a print out I have in a frame with quotes from the CDC and the Mayo Clinic and others, stating that plain old washing with soap and water is preferable. I worked in a hospital for many years, and I know that something like Purell is a necessity in certain settings, like a hospital, where it's available and convenient to use. But plain old soap and water is really best. Here is the quote from the Mayo Clinic. "Keep in mind that antibacterial soap is no more effective at killing germs than is regular soap. Using antibacterial soap may even lead to the development of bacteria that are resistant to the product's antimicrobial agents — making it harder to kill these germs in the future. http://mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407"
Thanks for sharing that. A great reminder and a compelling speech.

Back