Saturated Colors in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
OK, I'm frustrated. I was trying to create a lapis lazuli like color for Christmas gifts (a Marseilles soap) using blue ultramarine. It's a pretty soap, with 24K gold swirls, but not what I was looking for. As it sets up, it's definitely a light sky blue.

What colorants does one use to get fully saturated colors in CP?

Did you gel the soap?

Yep. CPOP at 170 for 30 minutes. The leftovers in Milky Way molds weren't gelled and are much paler.

I doubt the recipe matters much (this is true in every soap I've ever made for four solid years), but this particular one was:

75% olive oil
15% soy wax
5% coconut oil
5% castor oil

The colorants were 24K gold mica and blue ultramarine, as mentioned above.

Same applies for micas. To get a color that is much like the mica, you have to use a solid amount. I don't use the ultramarine or oxides that much because I always seem to get bleeding when the soap is colored as strongly as I'd like. Micas can color lather but you have to use a LOT LOT LOT of it.

Not enough color. I use 1 tsp ppo if I really want my colors to pop. Some may require a bit more.

Fortunately, I've not had trouble with colors bleeding except Red Oxide, ACV and Cocoa Powder. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself now. :smile:

Nurture has a really great blue mica that looked like lapis lazuli in their sample photos. The site is down for maintanence, but I think it was Klein blue.

I primarily use Nurture Soap Supplies micas. They are amazing and stay true to color in CP. They should be back up on Feb 13th. They are supposed to be having another sale when up and running. Can't wait, spent 160.00 on the last one. :oops:

Latest posts

Back