Sassafras Soap recipe idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Neil

Reaction score
Sassafras Soap recipe idea

I've collected a wonderful batch of sassafras roots and made some really nice tea. I want to make sassafras soap, looking for ingredient ideas.
The color of the Sassafras Tea is a really nice reddish brown. The Odor is very strong; I'm hoping it will come through the Sap process. Going to try it tomorrow.

I'm thinking something simple like;

Olive oil
Coconut oil
Soybean oil
Lard
Some SA for hardness
Castor oil at trace

What do yaw think?

Neil

Reaction score
update:

Sassafras Root bark , nice color and wonderful aroma

l_93e20e4c688ab83558b80f66c506ea86.jpg

Batch in Mold, reliquefied and changed color but still retains some aroma, and color isnt to bad. My makeshift varifit mold. I'll post the cut bars tomorrow.

l_aa8eb20f5c35d66acf7ad7b96ecebfd8.jpg

Neil

Reaction score
Update:

An unexpected benifit occured durring the SAP process. The soap marblized with wonderful shades of brown. The soap did not however retain the aroma atleast not at this stage.

Cut bars:
l_b7f516e71651108472650ae102260adc.jpg

Singles, trimed and beveled, I could not have gotten this great color if I had tried.

l_4b431f8975ce3d109140117449745890.jpg

Same image cloned into a photo of my backyard:

l_7865de96d17315eefef40c4afa681d73.jpg

Gayle

Reaction score
Neil, that is some awesome looking soap. Do another batch and see what coloring you get. You may be on to something.

CPSoaper

Reaction score
Your soap is beautiful. I bet even though you said the scent did not stay that it still smells wonderful. I bet it has a wonderful clean scent to it.

pink-north

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous bar of soap :D ! You may really be onto something indeed. I reminds me of piece of woodwork. You know the when the wood has all those interesting lines in it (caused by a fungus, I know, but turns out some really beautiful things - done right) I'm sure Paul knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway... Great looking soap.

scaligirl

Reaction score
Lovely earthy soap Niel. Perhaps you can try infusing one of the oils with the sassafras before you add it to the soap. The smell may get stronger. There are a few ways to infuse oils, depends on how long you want to wait.
Since I have never made CP soap I don't know how this would change the process but , I thought I would just toss the idea out there. :oops:

Neil

Reaction score
Pink

I Used the Tea instead of water. The Tea I made is really strong as a test
to see what would happen. On my second batch it was still strong than you would drink but much less than the first try.

Latest posts