Santa came early!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had wanted a stand mixer for some years, when I was still baking and was planning on making several different baked goodies from scratch. But mostly I wanted it for my husband's and everyone else's favorite, pound cake. So, last thanksgiving when there was a great deal at kohls, hubby bought it for me. It cost about the same 200$. I used it with enthusiasm for cake batter, kneading and whipped body butters. But my veganism killed off his interest in cookies and cakes. He says no even when I offer to make it on special days. And the body butters weren't getting whipped up evenly owing to the odd bottom of the mixer bowl. So right now it's sitting pretty in its box in the basement. I feel so guilty about it now. May be in our next house, when I'll have more space in kitchen, I'll take it out and use it for vegan baking.

We have kolaches! They aren't bad for a first try, I'll definitely make them again but will change a couple of things. I realized the recipe called for regular milk but all I use is almond milk. That'll teach me to read the recipe ahead of time a little closer! So I used it anyway. The finished rolls are ok but could be a little fluffier. Could that be a result of the milk switch? I don't know but will research that. And it was cool in the house, kitchen was about 65, so it took a while for the dough to rise both times. For the last ising I put a bowl of hot water in the oven with the baking sheets. It helped, I just wish I'd thought to do that the first go around. Also I'll cut them a bit bigger. I used my Grandma's old cookie cutter as directed but it's only about 2 inches. I would like them to be bigger.

For filling I used cream cheese, apples and cherries.

So all-in-all they are OK. I'm hoping my next batch will be perfect!

Latest posts

Back