sanitizing the bottles for lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjulesdid

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to manufacturing products for sale... please bear with me... so I'm up to speed on sanitizing my work area, my tools and my self. My lotion has a lab tested effective anti-microbial added according to manufacturer's instructions.. The question is, Do I need to sanitize the pet bottles? They came in an unsealed bag inside a cardboard box. (from sks)

If I do need to sanitize them, can I just give them a bleach solution bath the night before and let them dry overnight?

Thanks everyone

Just bleaching them is plenty. The supplier I use has good clean products and I rarely bleach anymore. I do sanitize my tools before making a batch of cream, lotions, or body butter.

Paul

Bleaching will "disinfect" and not sanitize your bottles. I would reccomend a minimum soak time in your bleach solution of no less than 30 minutes (this is the time it takes for bleach to actually disinfect and kill germies). You could also use your diswasher on a steam setting to sanitize them - depending on the bottle material, but they would need to be removed with rubber gloves and package sealed to avoid contamination from air born particles.

Being licensed in cosmetology, we are required to know all of this in CA. Hope it helps.

:) Rachelle

Back