Sanitizers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
Am thinking about making some lotion and wondering if anyone uses any commercial sanitizers for cleaning utensils.

Well, I don't know if I do it "right", but I handwash, then I put in bleach water and then I run through my dishwasher on the sanitizing cycle! LOL Maybe overkill??? or heck, maybe I just do it really wrong all together!!! LOL

That sounds along the lines that is talked about on this forum, so it must be right.

Back in my beermaking days I used to use a commercial sanitizer fo everything and was wondering if it is on the same order for lotion making.

Lye is a good sanitizer and you already have that! :D
My hubby uses lye to clean the beer-making equipment too.

So what happens if I don't do a good job at sanitizing, other than the lotion going smelly or something. And if I used bad lotion, what's the worst that could happen? A case of the diahrea?

Asking this because I am thinking of making some lotion. But may try a lotion bar 1st.

PhillipJ said:
A case of the diahrea?

not unless your going to eat it........

if your going to make a lotion i've got something awesome to share with ya, via email if your interested........

Do you have to do the same amount of sanitiing for other bath items if you use a base for them? What about for butters or whipped shea?

KellyBFS said:
Do you have to do the same amount of sanitiing for other bath items if you use a base for them? What about for butters or whipped shea?

Water is the culprit. If your product does not contain water or another liquid such as aloe vera juice or a milk, then that amount of sanitizing is not necessary. When I make my lotions and body butters that use e-wax and a water (known as water in oil, or oil in water) I do the extreme sanitizing routine. When making whipped shea butter, things like this, I just wash the equipment, then spritz with a shot of alcohol and dry with a sanitary cloth. I do use anti oxidant oils to help the butte from going rancid. I use T-50 which is a natural vitamin E. Again, if there is water in the recipe, sanitize and use a preservative.

Paul....

PhillipJ said:
Am thinking about making some lotion and wondering if anyone uses any commercial sanitizers for cleaning utensils.

If you have a beauty supply in your area, you can find a hospital grade disinfectant (QUATS) at a reasonable cost. Be sure to read the label and follow the directions. You may also look into a UV Sterilizer Cabi - which can be found for $100 to $150 on ebay. If you need help with ordering from the proper companies at a good cost, let me know and I would be happy to help out.

:) Rachelle (roro)

Okay I know this is an old thread, but how do you use lye to sanitize your lotion/cream jars, and would there be any risk of residue?

When I make my lotions and body butters that use e-wax and a water (known as water in oil, or oil in water) I do the extreme sanitizing routine.

Paul....

What is the extreme sanitizing routine, if you don't mind my asking?

Latest posts

Back