Sandalwood Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which kind do you have?

I have a whole post on the red sandalwood powder in HP here.

I have the other kind but I just got it n haven't tried it... I'm thinking it'll give me a tan-ish color, my powder is similar to the fuller's earth I have. I should use it soon...

Dawni, Wow! What an excellent report. Going to re-read it and post some thoughts here.
Thanks.
:thumbs:

I do CP. My red sandalwood is a fine red powder. My primary concern is to infuse sandalwood in oil for the skin benefits and not necessarily for color. If it imparted a color that would be an added benefit. I found your narrative so informative and enchanting - you're not only a smart researcher but a fun storyteller.

A couple of questions - when you "dumped some powder straight" into your soap batch did you mix it with water or oil, or use it straight (as you mentioned).

Many years ago I copied some info from Mountain Rose Herbs -
Sandalwood
"...anti-inflammatory properties, for which it is used in various skin care products..." and - "wound healing agent, anti-acne..."
Sandalwood Powder Hair Mask
2 tsp sandalwood powder to 3 Tbls. lime juice for an excellent cooling summer hair mask.
Red Sandalwood Face Mask
Make a paste with honey and water and use directly on the face. Combined with ashwagandha and cosmetic clays for a detoxifying facial.
"Red Sandalwood Powder can be used in soap to yield a dark maroon to purple color. Try 1 tsp. Red Sandalwood Powder per pound of soap. It should be added at light trace."

Onwards soapers!

I do CP. My red sandalwood is a fine red powder. My primary concern is to infuse sandalwood in oil for the skin benefits and not necessarily for color. If it imparted a color that would be an added benefit. I found your narrative so informative and enchanting - you're not only a smart researcher but a fun storyteller.

A couple of questions - when you "dumped some powder straight" into your soap batch did you mix it with water or oil, or use it straight (as you mentioned).
Thanks hehehe..

When I dumped the powder into the soap I did not get any color. I haven't actually tried infusing it yet, since mixing it in the lye water worked for me.

I also haven't tried the red sandalwood as a mask, but I have tried the other one once some years back, but I can't say if it made a difference haha

Back