Sandalwood powder

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

navigator9

Reaction score
A new Indian grocery store opened in the next town over, and I had to visit today to see what they have. I ended up buying way too much, but I'm a happy girl. One of the things I got was some sandalwood powder. I remember reading in another thread that sandalwood powder is scratchy in soap, but this powder is ground really fine, as fine as the oatmeal that I grind for soap. When I rub it between my fingers, it's very smooth, not gritty at all. I was wondering if any of you have used sandalwood powder this fine in soap, and what you thought of it. I know the fragrance won't come through in the soap, and that it's mostly for label appeal, but it smelled sooooooo good, I couldn't resist.

As I'm writing this, I'm sipping a cup of chai that I got there. I had planned on mixing the Cardamom True Sugar FO that I got with some orange, but now I'm thinking about black tea. Lots of inspiration at the Indian grocery!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indian markets are fun. I use it in my Dragon's Blood soap but cut down on the oatmeal. It is a geared to a man's soap and they tend to like scrubby. I do not notice it being extremely scratchy but only use about a tsp to 62 oz oils. I also like to infuse it in oils for one of my facial bars but I do strain it since I want no scrubby in that bar

SoapingChick

Reaction score
I used it in one of my first batches, I wanted to use it for colour and did an ITP swirl with it and perhaps didn't use enough or it morphs (turned a pale yellowish-grey tan) however, as I recall it had no scrubbies at all.

I think maybe I still have an end bit..I'll check and return! :)

The colour is caramel and is mixed in with (a lot) of glycerin, that swirly part looks almost a bit translucent!
Anyway, it's completely smooth with no scrubbies whatsoever :)
Good luck with it!

navigator9

Reaction score
Indian markets are fun. I use it in my Dragon's Blood soap but cut down on the oatmeal. It is a geared to a man's soap and they tend to like scrubby. I do not notice it being extremely scratchy but only use about a tsp to 62 oz oils. I also like to infuse it in oils for one of my facial bars but I do strain it since I want no scrubby in that bar
Thanks for the info, guys! Carolyn, does the infused oil have a lot of fragrance? If so, maybe I'll just make some and add it to a whipped body butter. It smells so yummy.

regansoap

Reaction score
Why don't you make a sandlewood infusion with olive oil then you could perhaps use said oil as your superfat and maybe retain some of that wonderful scent in your soap.

Latest posts