Sandalwood FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have soaped the Sensuous Sandalwood from BB as well and the white stayed white and bright. But was a little weak at site recommendations. Wish I had added a little extra. No issues soaping.

Let me recommend MMS Sandalwood - it smells wonderful. I soap with goat milk, which discolors, so I can't say if the FO does or not. I would like to try the Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood as well.

How about Amyris eo? Camden Grey has it for $6.50 for 2oz. Not true sandalwood but might come close.

I've used BB Sensuous Sandalwood and while the scent is deep, woodsy, and overall just amazing - it did not hold up well through cold process. It's almost as if you can smell it before you start using it and as soon as you wash, the smell dissipates. I ,too, am looking for a long lasting lingering sandalwood.

I know what you mean! The EO is just too pricey for me, too, but it is such a great scent, I gotta have it as an FO. The first sandalwood FO I bought was from Bitter Creek, and, yeah, it had a really powdery smell to it I didn't like at all. I have recently bought the Sensuous Sandalwood FO from Brambleberry. It smells REEEALLY good in the bottle. I haven't soaped with it yet. I am planning a soap with just the Sens. Sandalwood FO and some sandalwood powder I have. It may need to be HPed just so I feel like I could use it sooner.

I have soaped with Brambleberry's Sensuous Sandalwood and it is too powdery to be a true sandalwood

I've used BB Sensuous Sandalwood and while the scent is deep, woodsy, and overall just amazing - it did not hold up well through cold process.

It sticks for me at .85 PPO, soaps great too, no A or D. I have a 3 year old bar that still smells divine.

Just an update for those that may be interested (my quest for the perfect sandalwood FO). I've purchased so far:

Sexy Sandalwood/WSP - a nice scent, but as the description implies it's 'sexy'. More an incense type fragrance.
Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood/OregonTrails - real nice but subtle....maybe too subtle.
Indian Sandalwood/Nature's Garden - this one's NIIIIICE. It's subtle, but not too subtle. No powdery scent, no woody scent, slightly, and I mean ever so slightly floral.

I've not done a thing with any of these so far. (I did add a bit of the Tradewinds to some melted CO for use on my hair - heavenly)..I plan to soap with them but I'm waiting to get all of my sandalwoods together for comparison and soap what I consider 'best' first and work my way down. If there's interest I can report back how well they soap and if they hold up.

I've got WSP Sandalwood (not sexy) in my WSP cart and will be placing an order there as well in the next couple of days, then on to soaping!

Yes, Oregon Trails sells a fragrance oil called "Hawaiian Sandalwood", but it's not Tradewinds' HS.

Yes, Oregon Trails sells a fragrance oil called "Hawaiian Sandalwood", but it's not Tradewinds' HS.

Huh.
I followed a link from fragrance oil finder (it seems to be down for me at the moment) that said it was, but obviously with different flashpoint values that must be an error.
My mistake. Color me disappointed :( Guess I have one more sandalwood fo to purchase ;)

Last edited:
I haven't tried it but you can buy an essential oil blend that contains various Sandalwood oils. It's still expensive compared to FOs but it's nowhere near as expensive as pure East Indian Sandalwood oil. It contains oils of East Indian Sandalwood, West Indian Sandalwood, Indonesian Sandalwood, Australian Sandalwood and African Sandalwood. The West Indian and African Sandalwoods aren't from the Santalum genus and therefore aren't true Sandalwoods, whereas the others are.

http://www.bathbodysupply.com/Sandalwoods-Essential-Oil-Blend-p/es1900.htm
http://nandaoils.com/sabl.html

With regards to the Santalum genus, Santalum austrocaledonicum, from New Caledonia and Vanuatu is considerably cheaper than Santalum album, from India. It also smells closer to the Indian variety than the Australian variety, Santalum spicatum. Eden Botanicals sell a Sandalwood absolute from New Caledonia, which I've heard good things about. The absolute is a little cheaper than the oil because solvent extraction yields more than steam distillation. Nonetheless, it's still quite expensive and it would probably be a good idea to make it go further with the addition of a little Sandalwood FO or West Indian Sandalwood (Amyris) oil.

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/products/bestsellers/sandalwood/sandalwood-absolute-new-caledonia.html

Last edited:
Has anyone soaped with the Sandalwood Supreme from New Directions yet, I know that it mentioned earlier in this thread that someone had purchased it. My sister loves Sandalwood, and the plain Sandalwood from Nature's Garden faded to almost nothing, came back slightly in the shower, but I would love to find a good Sandalwood FO.

It's worth mentioning that some people are anosmic (insensitive) to particular Sandalwood aroma compounds. If a Sandalwood FO smells weak to you, it may be because you're anosmic to one or more of the aroma compounds that it contains. Another Sandalwood FO may contain compounds that you're not anosmic to and it may therefore seem stronger to you. It can be a good idea to take this into account when you read reviews regarding the perceived strength or weakness of a Sandalwood FO, as it may be different for you. The other qualities mentioned are well worth taking note of, however, as they're more likely to be universal.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks. I should be getting my BB sensuous sandalwood this week. I'm doing a 4 lb batch and am adding red and blonde sandalwood powder. I think I might use about 8 tblsp of fo.

I love B&B's Sensuous Sandalwood in lotions and everything except soap. The scent did not hold using 6% fo. I was very disappointed in it. :cry:

My Sensuous Sandalwood held very well in my cp. I also used red and blonde sandalwood powder, so maybe that helped. Left a very, very light scrubby feel.

Latest posts

Back