Sandalwood FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeroll

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a sandalwood FO (just sandalwood, no vanilla or other blends, please)?

I usually soap with EOs and sw is my all-time favorite scent but I just can't afford the EO. I have one sw FO from a local supplier and it smells like baby powder. Kitten Love?

I like the one from the perfumery but they no longer do small sales unless you're grandfathered in from when it was EOU. Brambleberry's isn't bad. WSP's is nice too but a bit pricey.

I know what you mean! The EO is just too pricey for me, too, but it is such a great scent, I gotta have it as an FO. The first sandalwood FO I bought was from Bitter Creek, and, yeah, it had a really powdery smell to it I didn't like at all. I have recently bought the Sensuous Sandalwood FO from Brambleberry. It smells REEEALLY good in the bottle. I haven't soaped with it yet. I am planning a soap with just the Sens. Sandalwood FO and some sandalwood powder I have. It may need to be HPed just so I feel like I could use it sooner.

Another sandalwood freak here. So far I've tried the FO from Camden Grey and it definitely had that powdery note but most folks have liked it.

Recently ordered the Sandalwood Extra FO from New Directions but haven't soaped with it yet. Out of the bottle it smells much more 'woody' than the CG version . . . hopefully it will be better for blending but I will report back after using it.

Got my WSP order today and guess what??? I forgot to order it. It was the main FO I wanted and I forgot it. I'm such a dweeb.

Got my WSP order today and guess what??? I forgot to order it. It was the main FO I wanted and I forgot it. I'm such a dweeb.

Now that's something that I would do! lol!
Great excuse to place another order ;)

D'oh!

Doriettefarm, the sandalwood from NDA sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm reluctant to order from them with their new minimum, but....sounds like I'll be saving up for a large order from them.

I have used the Sensuous Sandalwood from BB. It's not the perfect sandalwood, but I like it a lot. It's more woody-smelling, without the powdery scent that so many sandalwood FOs have. The soap I made with it was VERY popular with my friends.

So many choices! Thanks to all. This has been so helpful; I won't feel like I'm throwing money away blindly now.

I'm a big time sandalwood lover and have been on my own search for a good sandalwood. I've done a LOT of reading and I've seen a lot of folks recommend Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood. I finally found it at Oregon Trails Soaper's Supply and purchased some (along with lots of other scents). I only got a 2 oz bottle just in case, but every single oil I purchased smells GREAT right out of the bottle.
The sandalwood smells exactly like a good sandalwood should smell. I've yet to soap with it so I can't comment on that, but so far I love it. Their Egyptian Musk is to die for as well ;)

Should mention their prices are good, but they do ship in plastic bottles.

Still haven't soaped with the ND Sandalwood Extra FO but did add some to a lotion base. Blended it with patchouli EO from Camden Grey and Palmarosa EO from ND . . . it is the bomb! Now I'm really excited to try the same blend in a CP soap possibly with a swirl!

I'm a big time sandalwood lover and have been on my own search for a good sandalwood. I've done a LOT of reading and I've seen a lot of folks recommend Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood. I finally found it at Oregon Trails Soaper's Supply and purchased some (along with lots of other scents). I only got a 2 oz bottle just in case, but every single oil I purchased smells GREAT right out of the bottle.
The sandalwood smells exactly like a good sandalwood should smell. I've yet to soap with it so I can't comment on that, but so far I love it. Their Egyptian Musk is to die for as well ;)

Should mention their prices are good, but they do ship in plastic bottles.

Did OT acquire the Tradewinds line? I have been wanting to try that one.

Increasingly, many suppliers use plastic - lighter, less breakage.

Can anyone tell me if the BB sensuous sandalwood has any discoloration in cp soap? Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if the BB sensuous sandalwood has any discoloration in cp soap? Thanks!

I just used it in a batch I sliced today. I didn't notice any discoloring. There was no acceleration, either. It's a nice sandalwood. I used 3 TBLSP in a 2-lb batch. It is just barely strong enough for me, but I like a strong lingering scent.

Hey, thanks. I should be getting my BB sensuous sandalwood this week. I'm doing a 4 lb batch and am adding red and blonde sandalwood powder. I think I might use about 8 tblsp of fo.

I've tried New Directions Nature's Identical Sandalwood Oil, a synthetic duplication of the essential oil's molecular structure, and it's ok. I'm somewhat in doubt that I've used true undiluted sandalwood EO- "true" = 100% Indian sandalwood it would seem. Mysore is no comparison though it's a nice smell on its own. I have also tried sandalwood as a hydrosol sold by Essential Depot. Their sandalwood hyrdrosol smells strong & their website says they enrich the hydrosols to make them more fragrant. Reviews of sandalwood hydrosols from other sites report little to no smell. I used the sandalwood hydrosol as the diluent for the lye, no water was used at all, and the scent is there after cure. It smells lovely as a "water" instead of essential oil. The mace from Essential Depot is also nice in soap, smells woody and like cloves, a little lasts and endures. I look forward to using 0.5 mace: 0.25patch:1-.75 pettigrain.

Latest posts

Back