Sam's olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using the Pure olive oil from Sam's for a lot of years. The oil I got this week is causing me major acceleration problems. The oil is bottled slightly different; the label is the same but the bottle has a more narrow neck and smaller cap. It is marked from Portugal.

Does anyone else use Sam's olive oil and if so have you noticed any differences in your latest purchase.

I have not used it, but it sounds like it is either pomace olive oil, or an adulterated blend with a cheaper oil that moves faster than OO.

I am questioning adulteration. I have used Sam's Pure Olive for years and have liked their oil. This was a new bottle, and a change in the way they bottle looks; I used in the last two logs I made this evening. I use pomace part of the time and this isn't pomace. This thickened fast and with a translucent look. The first log it happened I realized I didn't have have any idea what the temps were so I tried again and the same thing happened. I know I was soaping about 95 degrees. Both logs heated up immediately. I have put them in the freezer. I actually was concerned about volcano based on how fast they were heating up.

I use their OO, have not noticed any differences. However latest bottle is marked as from Italy and Greece. Did you use same fragrance as usual? No other changes?

Thanks for letting me know you haven't seen any difference. My bottle is stamped Tunesia, Portugal.

I am going to do a small test batch this morning just olive oil. This morning the logs are hard and crumbly. I would say that I didn't do anything different yesterday. I batch all of my oils other than olive and the first two logs with the older olive oil bottle are fine. Based on how hard/crumbly the last two logs are I think I need to be considering if I put double lye in the pitcher. My notes are cked marked on ingredients but I was tired when I made soap last night. Sam's has always been such a good price and working oil that I sure need to see if it was user error.

Well, just ignore this thread. I have 2 small bars of castile that are in the mold and all went well. So, I was way too tired to make soap last night and the olive oil was fine. I just didn't keep track correctly of the lye added to all of the pitchers.

Well, just ignore this thread. I have 2 small bars of castile that are in the mold and all went well. So, I was way too tired to make soap last night and the olive oil was fine. I just didn't keep track correctly of the lye added to all of the pitchers.
Well, at least you figured it out, I have learned that I cannot soap or use the sewing machine when I am tired, too risky!

Back