Sam's Daily Chef Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olive oil issues

This is bothersome and disappointing. I use their olive oil as well. Batch failures could mean solvents in the oil. The last time I purchased any was Sept and am on the last gallon of that purchase which has been ok. Thanks for the heads up.

I also use this oil all the time. My most recent batch (a few days ago) was about 40% Sam's Club Daily Chef OO, purchased about a month ago in Moline, Illinois. It turned out just as expected.

How long ago did you purchase yours? I am guessing you purchased somewhere near your home in Texas. Has the labeling changed any? I don't recall a change in how the label looks, at least not with these last bottles.

I purchased it on 10-27-16 at the Sam's close to me. The label is exactly the same, down to the last detail. The expiration date is 10/08/2017, lot number: L190 O 0-0942 18:40.

The soaps are made with the same batch of saltwater, the same batch of fragrance, the same everything except the new lard, and the new OO. The lard is the same lot number and expiration date as the previous bucket. I bought two at the same time.

The soap on the left is the first batch made with the old oil, cut at 8 hours (25% salt) after full gel. It hit thin trace after about 2-3 minutes of stickblending/stirring.

The soap on the right was cut at 8 hours after full gel. It hit thick pudding after about 10 seconds of stickblending. The texture is like wet sand, this is the best of the lot. Two bars are piles of wet sand because I tried to pick them up.

DSCN0268.jpg

If they are not using it very quickly it should extend the shelf life and hold off rancidity.

Is that for all oils?

How fast is very quickly? I've ordered a bulk amount (25- or 35-lb buckets) of some oils because I know I want to soap a lot and experiment this winter while the honeybees don't need a lot of tending/time. (They will require a LOOOTTTT of time in the spring to early summer.) The temps are mild enough now, but I was planning on storing my supplies (except for FOs because of their flashpoint) in the outside building where I want to soap. Is that unwise? Or would that be okay in mild temperatures but I should change it before it gets hot and humid?

Depends on the oil. In a dark cool place some oils are good for a couple years. Olive, HO sunflower, avocado, castor all have pretty long self life. Others, like grapeseed and hemp have pretty short shelf lives - especially once opened.

Since those jugs are pretty large - if you are not going to use one up in about 9-12 months or do not have a cool dark place to store them, freezing can help.

If your storage is going to have big temperature swings, I would find somewhere else to store them where the temp is more constant.

I really hope this isn't the case. I just bought 10 bottles from Sam's because it is the cheapest place for olive oil.

I am hoping it is a fluke! After the holidays I will buy some more (if they have a different lot #), and try again. My husband even says we should throw this away rather than use it for cooking. He says if it does not make good soap, no telling what is in it.

I went to Sam's today and looked at their olive oil... while I didn't have Susie's lot numbers with me for reference, I did notice that the labels on all the Chef's olive oil are all different from the labels on my older jugs. I didn't buy any.

Last edited:
Back